Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Workspace Management - Enterprise Level Best Practice on Deployment

Hi All, 

Until recently, Power BI has been seen as BI tool at the department or small team level in which case sharing and deployment is not a big problem.
In the last couple of years ,we see more on Enterprise level rollout. I am sure there are still lessons being learnt and best practice is being established . 

I wonder if anyone has done an Enterprise level roll out and how you managed Environments , Workspaces and EndUser App. 

We have multiple departments wanting to produce reports and published in their own container such as Workspace and App and at the same time have different environments such as Dev, UAT and Live.  This would mean for each units we would have three minimum workspaces and App. The fact that workspace and app are one-to-one and cannot create additional app on top of the workspace our end user security model is also affected.

For example, Marketing team will have Marketing - Dev, Marketing - UAT and Marketing - Live workspaces, we control what reports and dashboards are included in the EndUser App and who has access to it. Because, the containers we create all down to who are the end user at the app level, If the report is used by specific group with in Marketing for example Marketing Director then we would have to create – Marketing Director – Dev, Marketing Director- UAT and Marketing Director- Live and publish app with permission set to only Directors.   This model of development creates unnecessary overheads and artifacts in my opinion.

Basically my question is- does the above model make sense and is there any other method you have used on the Enterprise level to manage Environments and Deployments roll-out of Power BI.

By the way I am aware of the whitepapers on this topic , I wonder what is your approach to the deployment.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may set Row-Level Security (RLS) to manage workspaces and apps for each role, please see the link Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet, which described the detailed steps. Maybe it doesn't work, there are some tips to let it work and test it efficiently.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Were you able to set up or make a decision on the set up of your PBI service/workspaces.

We are at a similar consideration point where we have to decide on how do we continue to encourage business users on doing self-serve but then when it comes to sharing, they need to deploy. Where do we deploy their work, where do we deploy BI's entrprise reporting.

@v-xicai  your respose on RLS is helpful, if everyone in the business follow it. However, in our case it is individual Marketing/Finance personnel, unaware of techincal standards are developing reoprts that they would like to share.

Any thoughts, either of you?

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may set Row-Level Security (RLS) to manage workspaces and apps for each role, please see the link Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet, which described the detailed steps. Maybe it doesn't work, there are some tips to let it work and test it efficiently.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors