Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cjones

Power BI Enterprise Gateway - Firewall (Wildcard Not Supported)

Hi,

My question is similar to the post below but the solution there is impractical for me:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Firewall-Power-BI-Enterprise-Gateway/m-p/19308#M5649

In Power BI Enterprise Gateway installation instructions multiple firewall rules are given as below:

*.powerbi.com443HTTPS
*.analysis.windows.net443HTTPS
*.login.windows.net443HTTPS
*.servicebus.windows.net5671-5672Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP)
*.servicebus.windows.net443, 9350-9354Listeners on Service Bus Relay over TCP (requires 443 for Access Control token acquisition)
*.frontend.clouddatahub.net443HTTPS
**.core.windows.net443HTTPS
login.microsoftonline.com443HTTPS
login.windows.net443HTTPS

However, our firewall doesn't support wildcards (*) only ip's or the full domain name and 443 is blocked (outbound) by default.

The recommendation in the post was to use the Azure data centre white list but this is quite a hefty list and can change and would be a manual import in our firewall (I'm told) so not preferred.

I want to use the full domain (i.e not *.powerbi.com but xyz.powerbi.com) as the firewall can support this but I can't find an explanation of what the full name is or how is it defined.

For example, is the * in  *.servicebus.windows.net  is it;

a. Something that I can configure myself (on Azure or on the Gateway)

b. Something fixed generated by the Enterprise Gateway that I can retrieve

c. A fixed list of names defined by Microsoft that I could get somehow

d. You've missed the point entirely it is something else

Is it possible to explain if I can get the full name (and how Smiley Happy) or if the only possible solution is to import the white list and update it after each update.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cjones

I finally managed a workaround from this which I thought I would add back as it might be helpful to someone.

Confirmed with Microsoft that at present only * or full IP whitelist of Azure are the only available options so in the end I routed the connections via our proxy using the guide at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-proxy/.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cjones

I finally managed a workaround from this which I thought I would add back as it might be helpful to someone.

Confirmed with Microsoft that at present only * or full IP whitelist of Azure are the only available options so in the end I routed the connections via our proxy using the guide at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-proxy/.

Can you elaborate what actually you had to do in proxy?

could you elaborate what actually you did on proxy to get it to work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors