Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

KevinSGoff
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Embedded, APP_OWNS_DATA project, and the authentication account

OK, ran into an issue, will try to strip it down to essentials.

I have a company Azure account (I'll call it Account A).   It has a Power BI Pro license (trial).  In the Azure site, it uses MFA (company requirement)

I created a PBI report and pushed it up to the cloud/service site.  Then I tried to use the app_owns_data with PBI Embedded (I have the application ID, workspace ID, and report ID).   When I tried to use the app_owns_data project, I got error messages about MFA.

(Note, I've used PBI embedded in trial mode successfully before, with my personal PBI Pro account....but wasn't using MFA)

OK, to try to address that, we created a PBIService User in Azure, but without MFA.  (We'll call this "Account B").  I went through the same process.....created a Pro Trial license, pushed up a report under Account B, then used the authentication for Account B with power BI embedded.  That worked OK.

However, here's what I'd "Like" to do.  I'd like to author content up to the cloud using Account A  (my Azure account, which uses MFA).  But when we use PBI embedded in a web page, we'd like to authenticate through Account B( our PBI service account, which does not use MFA).     I actually tried that, and ran into all sort of authentication issues, issues with not consenting to the application ID, etc.

So, my question....can someone point to a demo, video, blog, etc.  that basically covers the following:

- Create and author PBI content up to the cloud with one account.
- Use PBI embedded to access that content in a .NET web page, where the authentication is a different account.    (And a related question.....does Account B also need to have a Power BI license, and does that need to be a PRO LIcense?)

Hope this makes sense.  I can provide more details if needed.

Thanks,
Kevin

1 REPLY 1
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @KevinSGoff

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,The account B you created should belong to the same organization as account A, under the same tenant. Then you can create reports with account A, and give workspace permission to B or share the content embedded on the web page with B, so account B also has permission to view and edit, embedded process can be related to account B without MFA.

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors