Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daniele_tiles
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI, Dataset and oAuth

Hi to all,
I've a question about the usage of oAuth for resource on Power BI. We've got some cases (Power BI reports based on files on Teams, or Power BI reports based on data on Synapse) that we need to get refreshed.

So we configured the dataset on Power BI Service with one of our users, each case is a user which has a Pro license and has got the rights to do so.

The problem arises with the governance: if the the aforementioned user "leaves" the company, and the user is deleted, then we've to reset all the credentials with a new user.

That's why, on prem, usually it's better to work with a service user with no expiration (password and user).

But on cloud...I guess that if we want to do so, we have to give to a service user a Pro license: since it's all based on the oAuth, and I cannot insert a different user (a service user) from mine: when I set the oAuth authentication, it's the same of the one I've logged in to Power BI Service. If I want to change the user to the service user, it has to be a Pro licensed user, and set as an admin/maybe collab of the workspace.

Am I correct?

Thank you for your support

Daniele

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @daniele_tiles , @v-kkf-msft  , this post was usefull for one of my case too!

Just to extend and understand more!

When we use Oauth authentication and go to Edit credentials, it asks for Pickup an account, so if we pickup "Service user account" and save the connectin does that mean, while users use this connection serviceaccount credentials used for data refresh or my credentials used for data refresh?

Can you please provide info on same if possible

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @daniele_tiles 

Yes you are 100% correct. That is what I have done with other organizations to ensure that the dataset refreshes will always work as expected and can be refreshed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank you very much. Another thing I was wondering about is about the change of passwords for a normal user: usually I see that doesn't impact the dataset connection...are there any cases (except the delete of the user) that a change of password might require to re-set the connection? SInce I've got users that are worried about this (I believe it's a false problem, but I'd like to have some guarantees).

Thank you

Daniele Tiles

Hi @daniele_tiles ,

You are right. If the password of the account used to configure the data source credentials is changed, the datasource credentials need to be updated. If the password of another account is changed, it has no effect on the datasource credentials, and not need to update the credentials.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Winniz,

wait, I didn't understand your message.

Today I've got this dataset with oAuth:

v-xuding-msft_0-1618972060658.png

My password changes every 90 days, but I don't have to update in Power BI Service, for each dataset, my credentials every 90 days...am I right?

Hi @daniele_tiles ,

As shown in the figure below, if I use the admin account to configure the dataset credentials, only when the admin password is changed, the dataset credentials need to be updated. But if the password of another account is changed, there is no need to update the credentials of the dataset.

image.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @daniele_tiles , @v-kkf-msft  , this post was usefull for one of my case too!

Just to extend and understand more!

When we use Oauth authentication and go to Edit credentials, it asks for Pickup an account, so if we pickup "Service user account" and save the connectin does that mean, while users use this connection serviceaccount credentials used for data refresh or my credentials used for data refresh?

Can you please provide info on same if possible

Hi @Anonymous ,

With OAuth2 authentication, whichever user refreshes the data will be authenticated using the account ("Service user account") that you are editing credentials.

Best Regards,
Winniz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors