Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

POwer BI /POwer Query with General ledger data

I am in the process of transforming my excel reports to Power Bi. I have created a model in power query so for best practices I only can use this model for all the reports I generate every month. However, I would greatly appreciate it if somebody can recommend a course or tutorial to get more experience. I am in a face that I have seen a lot but when I try to put it into my real work practice I encounter several challenges. Can you please advise?

Thanks in advance for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Use power bi is good choice to analyze data.

1. where to create a measure, for short, Home -> Measure. More advance, learning some DAX expression will contribute to your project. vchenwuzmsft_0-1636956067914.png
  2. Your data wasn't updated to October. Make sure you have refershed via the Refresh icon. vchenwuzmsft_1-1636956805699.png

3. The basic process of using power bi
    1. First get the data, use the power query editor
    2. Second,  transform, shape data 
    3. Third, create a model, add relationships  and measures and calculated columns.
    4. Fourth, make a report. Make visual charts.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, First of all, thanks for your time. I am just want to explain myself properly. I have done many courses on LinkedIn, and other platforms when I follow the exercises that the instructor shows is really easy but when I try to apply these steps to my work I end up with many issues. For instance, I am creating a report for overtime expenses right now. the report summarizes all the general ledger accounts that are related to overtime and I want to show Actual MTD, Budget MTD, variance, Actual YTD, Budget YTD. We already created the report in excel but I want to use the power BI model I have already created which includes all the data for the Income statement and use it to create this report. I person at work usually suggests things to do and this person knows a lot but he doesn't show me. So he suggested converting my power pivot or power query model into Power BI and then using analyze excel to create the report in excel. However, I have encountered the following challenges. My data is only updated in the model until May and I need data until October. I don't know how to do that. I have refreshed the excel on the pivot table but it doesn't update I believe I need to update the model but how I can do that? second I need to create a new measure that I initially didn't need so I didn't create that new measure. The question is Where I need to create them. I feel very confused right now . If you have a tutorial or can assist I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Use power bi is good choice to analyze data.

1. where to create a measure, for short, Home -> Measure. More advance, learning some DAX expression will contribute to your project. vchenwuzmsft_0-1636956067914.png
  2. Your data wasn't updated to October. Make sure you have refershed via the Refresh icon. vchenwuzmsft_1-1636956805699.png

3. The basic process of using power bi
    1. First get the data, use the power query editor
    2. Second,  transform, shape data 
    3. Third, create a model, add relationships  and measures and calculated columns.
    4. Fourth, make a report. Make visual charts.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do you have challenges representing your data subjects in a star/snowflake schema?  Are you concerned about referential integrity?

Where are you stuck?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors