Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vallirajap
Resolver III
Resolver III

PBI Desktop refresh differs from PBI Service refresh.

Hii,

In recent times, I have noted a dataset refresh timing difference between the desktop and service.

What is the reason when a dataset gets refreshed too late in the PBI service?

Sometimes it fails after running for 2 hours.

If anyone knows tell me the answer,
Thank you

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. To keep it simple let's say there are 2 or 3 factors that would affect a refresh.

1- The source performance. A database might be faster than reading a file. But it can be a complex view that take times to read it. The time that takes the source to response is key. There are APIs that run fast and other that take a lot. Some sources can be tested. If you have a query for reading a database you can test it in a DBMS like DBeaver.

2- The transformations. The more complex your power query cleaning and wrangling is, the more time it can get. Optimizing your power query transformations steps can help reduce the timings.

3- Bandwidth (optional): if you have some sources that depend on a Gateway, then you might consider a third variable that is the bandwidth to move data. Some countries still have internet providors with small bandwidths for large datasets.

You can take a look at those three variables. The refresh fails because Power Bi Service has a 2 hours window at a Shared Capacity Workspace to refresh a semantic model.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors