Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

X_Man
Frequent Visitor

Opening an excel file stored in sharepoint from the published report not working

I would like to open or access an excel file stored in sharepoint by clicking on a button. When doing it from the desktop version, everything is working fine, but when trying from PBi service, it doesn't work. Why that ? Could we open/access an excel file stored on sharepoint from a published report or this is not possible ?

Thank you for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
X_Man
Frequent Visitor

@v-yueyunzh-msft So using the "Copy link address" url is not working, but copying the url from the spreadsheet does the job. I am not sure to understand why the copy link address is not working, but as long as there is an option that is working, that's fine. Thank you for your support.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
X_Man
Frequent Visitor

@v-yueyunzh-msft So using the "Copy link address" url is not working, but copying the url from the spreadsheet does the job. I am not sure to understand why the copy link address is not working, but as long as there is an option that is working, that's fine. Thank you for your support.

Hi , @X_Man 

I,m glad you solve the problem, for this , it may cause by the different url generated.You can comapre the url and test in your browser to split which url to use.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

X_Man
Frequent Visitor

@v-yueyunzh-msft the url/hyperlink is coming from the sharepoint site, I use the option 'Copy link address' by doing  right click on the excel file stored in sharepoint. When I paste this one in a new tab in my web browser, it doesn't open the file directly but rather put an excel icon in a ribbon at the bottom ot the page. I need to click on it to have the file opening.

Hi , @X_Man 

I put the "Copy link address" url you said, and it can open in browser too. My browser is "Microsoft Edge". You can try to use this browser to test. You can also use the url of the excel in the top of the browser to replace the url to test,like this:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1667984219282.png

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

X_Man
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yueyunzh-msft , thank you for your response. What you described in your message is exactly what I did. The issue is not creating a button and adding a web url to the action of the button. The issue is this is working from the desktop, but not from the service. Also, if I remove the filename from the hyperlink, I can access the folder where the Excel file is stored from the service. Why that ? 

Hi , @X_Man 

I test in my Power Bi Service , it works good. 

My test is like this:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1667978472622.png

When I click the button, it goes to the new page and show the excel file:

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1667978560772.png

For your problem, you can check the url is can works in your browser?And can you tell me where you get this url?

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @X_Man 

If it's convenient for you to explain "open/access an excel file stored on SharePoint from a published report", do you want to create a button in your Power BI report and let this button navigate to the URL of the corresponding Excel file in SharePoint? If so, you can try creating a web URL button in the edit interface of the PBI service report and set the URL to the URL of the corresponding Excel file in SharePoint.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1667961831754.png

For more information, you can refer to:

Create buttons in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

X_Man
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response. I do not get any error, it just starts to open a new tab in the web browser and then stop, ending with no result. It is working if I remove the filename from the hyperlink, I can access the folder where the Excel file is stored.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

it should be in theory, what error are you getting?  Can I assume this is a cloud version of sharepoint vs on prem?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors