Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kjendro
Frequent Visitor

ODC Connection Session ID for Analyze in Excel

I have a dataset published to the Service. Using Analyze in Excel to create pivot tables. Many times when I try to refresh the connection, I get a "Session ID cannot be found. Either the session does not exist or cannot be found." Click ok, and it keeps popping up. Looks like once per pivot table. If I wait awhile, then it will refresh with no problems. Is there anyway to hardcode the session id into the connection properties, or some other way to improve this connection?

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @kjendro 

This could happen because when you upload the PBIX it actually replaces the model, which would mean it has to re-authenticate.

In Excel there might be a setting to share the connection?

What happens if you connect to your dataset via Excel instead of Analyze in Excel? This might work better

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Tough to do, being that the Power BI Publisher for Excel has been retired. In Excel, I don't see any option to get data from a Power BI dataset.

Hi @kjendro 

If you are running one of the newer versions of Excel you can do it by clickong on Data, then Get Data then Power BI as shown below 

GilbertQ_0-1623284654302.png

Power BI Blog

kjendro
Frequent Visitor

As an example, I make a change to the desktop file, save it, publish it up. Once that completes, I have a browser tab showing the workspace open. I go to the Excel file, hit refresh all, and then have to hit 'ok' 18 times. Seems weird that a session would expire in the 10 second lapse from publishing to hitting refresh.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @kjendro 

This is by design because when you log into the Power BI Service there is a session token that gets created, which can expire. When using the browser there is an option which says Keep me logged in.

While when you are using Excel this option does not exist. What is happening when you get the error is that the session has expired and the token is no longer valid. Behind the scenes it then refreshes the token, and will then start refreshing.

This also ensures that security is kept up to date.

Power BI Blog

But I do have the "Keep me logged in" option enabled in the service (because I go in it 6 times a day usually). Is there a way to hard code a token in the ODC connection properties? Getting tired of clicking "ok" on my Excel report 15 times each time I refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors