Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrisdiekvoss
Regular Visitor

Moving semantic model and Reports to a new workspace

I have seen a number of posts on the topic but they are aged so wanted to start a fresh thread. I have a use case where two teams have merged and would like the semantic models and reports consolidated to a single workspace. Want to point out that workspaces have a dev/test/prod with a pipeline (I dont think that is pertinate to this question, just want to point out). 

I found a number of enteries on the Idea board and this article to accomplish using cmdlets but again it's quite old (Apr 2019) Duplicating workspaces by using Power BI cmdlets | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Sorry to use a dirty word on a PBI community but this is very easy in Tableau and I am suprised PBI does not have a process.  

Thanks in advance, 

Chris D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrisdiekvoss ,

First, make sure you have the necessary permissions in both workspaces. At least Contributor permission is required to move projects. At least "build" permission is required for semantic models.

For more details about permissions, see:

Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you want to combine them for use in various reports in the new workspace, consider downloading the PBIX files locally and republishing them to the target workspace.

Since you mentioned pipeline, after moving the reports and semantic models, make sure the deployment pipeline are pointed correctly to the new workspace location.

For more information about deployment pipeline, see:

Assign a workspace to a Microsoft Fabric Application lifecycle management (ALM) deployment pipeline ...

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrisdiekvoss ,

First, make sure you have the necessary permissions in both workspaces. At least Contributor permission is required to move projects. At least "build" permission is required for semantic models.

For more details about permissions, see:

Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you want to combine them for use in various reports in the new workspace, consider downloading the PBIX files locally and republishing them to the target workspace.

Since you mentioned pipeline, after moving the reports and semantic models, make sure the deployment pipeline are pointed correctly to the new workspace location.

For more information about deployment pipeline, see:

Assign a workspace to a Microsoft Fabric Application lifecycle management (ALM) deployment pipeline ...

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What's your question?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors