Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mk1tre
Frequent Visitor

Missing Detail for some reports in Power BI Service Top Banner

Hi,

In the Power BI Service Top Banner I should see the following information for ALL my reports:

Title, Contact, and Updated (When the last refresh occurred)

mk1tre_0-1608770132648.png

The problem I have is that most of my reports show only the Title and Contact. I am missing the Updated detail. The only reports that have all the detailed information are new ones I have created in Power BI Desktop. I have re published the old reports in the same version of Power BI Desktop but still no change.

My reports are in the same workspace and app, and they all have datasets. I have done a lot of research but cannot find the solution.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mk1tre
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I actually found out what it was, my reports were a mix of import and direct query. I inherited the reports and I didn't pay enough attention to realise some of the tables were Direct Query. Direct Query won't include the Data Updated detail which makes sense.

Thank you for all your help.

Mark

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mk1tre ,

I didn't find any option for it. Would you please try to open report in workspace not in the app to see if there is data updated label.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi,

It is the same if I open it in the workspace or the App.

Cheers

Mark

mk1tre
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I actually found out what it was, my reports were a mix of import and direct query. I inherited the reports and I didn't pay enough attention to realise some of the tables were Direct Query. Direct Query won't include the Data Updated detail which makes sense.

Thank you for all your help.

Mark

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mk1tre,

Would you please show the screenshot of  missing the Updated detail? Your label is a little difference from mine:

Capture1.PNG

I can't reproduce your issue. I also suggest you report this as an Issue using issues.powerbi.com.  first check to see if it has already been reported.  

You can set UTC time for last refreshed time by add steps in query editor. Please follow : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/report/powerbi/add-last-refresh-time?view=azure-devops...

And you can convert it  by steps in https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2020/10/dynamic-time-zone-conversion-using-power-bi/

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi Dedmon,

Thank you for your reply, I have overcome the problem by adding the GETDATE() SQL function to my dataset. All my data comes for SQL Server and by doing this I will always show the date and time in my LOCAL time zone. 

Most of my Top Banners look like this.

mk1tre_0-1609191625304.png

You can see from the screen shot that the Data Updated is missing. I have no idea why it is present for some reports and missing in others. Total mystery. Is it a Power Power Setting in the Desktop or Service? I cannot find an article that mentions this anywhere.

Cheers

Mark

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

two things:

- after you republished the older reports did you also update the app?

- please note that that "Updated"  timestamp is largely meaningless. What you really want is a field inside of your data (a "Last Modified"  column, for example) that shows you if the source data has been updated.  Power BI will happily re-render stale data over and over if you ask it to.

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Yes I did publish the App and there was still no change. The reason I like the date in the top banner is that it reflects the time shown at my destination and not the country that is hosting the server. 

I followed so many articles on how to show the last refresh date and time (local) and the date always reflected the time where the server was hosted. (Guy in the Cube). I also live in Australia so we have many time zones and something this easy shouldn't be difficult to do.

My requirement is to show the same date and time that is displayed when you list the datasets in the Power BI Service. 

If I can't find a resolution I may need to do what you suggested and calculate it in SQL Server which is the source of my data.

Cheers

Mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors