Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlexS2023
Helper I
Helper I

Microsoft Access: [ccon]The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup autorefresh for a published PowerBI report, however it's failing, with the error below.

The report draws its data from an Access Database (stored in our SharePoint Document store). From the error (and lots of googling) it suggests that we have the wrong database engine installed. or the wrong Bit for PBI or Office. However, I have checked and on my Local Machine we have 64 bit versions of all the right software. We also have 64Bit MS 365 across the company.

So clearly I'm missing something. Is there another reason the refresh would fail? maybe somewhere else I should be checking for Bit version? This is all new to me... to further my confusion, we have pre-existing PBI reports which use Excel Files for data (stored in the same way) and those work fine. I understand these use the same connectors, but I'm reaching here.

Any ideas? 😄

Ps the PBI Report works fine when run on Desktop though you have to manually refresh.

Error message:

Spoiler
Data source error: [ValidateMarkupTags][ccon]DataSource.NotFound: Microsoft Access: [ccon]The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987.[/ccon]. [/ccon]. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: Table123.

TIA

Alex

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do not use Access as a data source.  If you really must,  use a Enterprise Gateway (yes, even if the Access DB is on sharepoint) and install the legacy driver on the gateway VMs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors