Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AliPoTD
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft Access: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine

Please can anyone help me with the error I'm having?

I have created a Power BI Desktop report which links to an Access database held on the company server, as well as a SharePoint folder.

All works fine in Desktop, and I have Published to the Power BI Service.

I have an existing On-premises gateway set up which is showing as online:

AliPoTD_0-1713351843741.png

AliPoTD_3-1713352069985.png

AliPoTD_4-1713352122376.png

The problem I have is when I try to do either a manual Refresh or Scheduled Refresh from within the online Power BI Service.

I get the following message:

AliPoTD_0-1713354764932.png

I have installed the accessdatabaseengine_X64.exe from https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987   

on my laptop (not the company server) but this didn't resolve the issue. My IT support are saying this is something that needs to be on my laptop from where I use Power BI Desktop.

I have not been able to install the EULA Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable.txt as the link in the Microsoft website doesn't work.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I'm very new to Gateways and am finding this baffling!

Many thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AliPoTD ,
According to your description and the error screenshot provided, the error message mentions that the "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" provider is not registered on the local machine. This is the driver used to connect to the Microsoft Access database. If Power BI is unable to find this driver, it will not be able to successfully connect to the Access database.
The error message suggests that the 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may need to be installed in order to read specific Access database files.
If you want to install Access Database Engine , you must make sure that the Access Database Engine installed is the same bit size as your computer.
As for the EULA, usually during the installation process you will encounter a step that asks you to accept or reject the end user license agreement.
You can view this document to install Microsoft Access Database Engine
Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Cent...

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thanks. I've fed this back to the IT Team who are installing the driver and rebooting the server this weekend.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors