Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

calamityjen

Merge Power BI Premium Capacities

Does anyone know if its possible to merge 2 x P3 capacities (to create a P4) easily?

Or is it a case of removing a capacity, then increasing the size of the existing one to P4 size?  I guess that could cause some disruption though.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

hey @calamityjen ,

Depending on your need, you can increase the capacity of an existing premium capacity - that would give you the "merge" level of capacity.  There is no "merge" capability of taking two separate capacities and putting them together.

So, if you ramp up one of your capacities, you will have to go through and reset all of your workspaces to the one ramped up capacity.  This inclused reworking all of your gateway usage.  Which, if you are modifying  the gateway, you will have to have every report that uses that gateway to be re-worked to point to the gateway on the ramped up capacity.

And, unfortunately, there is no "gateway transfer" or "capacity transfer" capability to do this in one shot.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mail_daz
Regular Visitor

@calamityjen I am curious to see if your capacity issue was resolved with your P4 addition? May I ask how many Capacities you are using and whether it met your requirements? I'm in the process of evaluating whether moving to PowerBi from Tableau is a good idea. What I'm seeing in terms of capacities is it takes a lot of capacity to support PowerBi. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

collinq
Super User
Super User

hey @calamityjen ,

Depending on your need, you can increase the capacity of an existing premium capacity - that would give you the "merge" level of capacity.  There is no "merge" capability of taking two separate capacities and putting them together.

So, if you ramp up one of your capacities, you will have to go through and reset all of your workspaces to the one ramped up capacity.  This inclused reworking all of your gateway usage.  Which, if you are modifying  the gateway, you will have to have every report that uses that gateway to be re-worked to point to the gateway on the ramped up capacity.

And, unfortunately, there is no "gateway transfer" or "capacity transfer" capability to do this in one shot.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq - I suspected it'd be a case of increasing one and moving everything over.. but I'd not considered gateways, sounds like a real pain.   Thanks for this! Really helpful 😀

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors