Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BIRafael

Local model using Direct Query for Azure Analysis Services not refreshing using Power BI service.

Hello,

Our team is using Azure Analysis Services, normally we were using Live connection, but the Live Connection model was not able to be used in online Excel as a data source.
By changing the model to Direct Query we managed to resolve that issue, but we ran into a new one.
When we update the .bim model file in AAS, like adding a new column of a table that is selected in the Local model, the new column is not visible in the Semantic model in the service.
If I refresh the semantic model in the service, nothing happens, yet when I refresh the model when I download the Semantic model in the Power BI Desktop app, it does.
Is this some sort of limitation?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BIRafael ,

You have changed the data in the .dim file on the local end, you need to upload it to the service again, or configure a schedule to refresh the semantic model reports can change.

Due to Direct Query limitation:

After a report is published, Refresh in the Power BI service refreshes the visuals in the report. But if the underlying source schema changes, the Power BI service doesn't automatically update the available fields list. If tables or columns are removed from the underlying source, it might result in query failure upon refresh. To update the fields in the model to reflect the changes, you must open the report in Power BI Desktop and choose Refresh.

Below is the official link will help you:

DirectQuery in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xiandat-msft ,

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I meant refreshing the semantic model not the visuals, the problem is that the scheduled refresh doesn't do anything (PBI service)

But, the refresh in the Dektop app works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors