Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Live data on report vs dashboard using Stream Analytics

Hi,

Just looking to better understand live or near-live data visualisation in Power BI. I know you can use Stream Analytics to show live data on a dashboard (I did the Micrsoft tutorials - those are great). When creating the stream job, you have to create a dataset for the stream's output. Could this same dataset be used for a report? And if so, what would the data refresh process look like on the report compared to the dashboard? I have lots of data being sent to an IoT Hub from a single device, so I'd like to have some live stream tiles and pinned reports on my dashboard that reference the same dataset.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: As soon as I posted this, I found this helpful matrix that answers the first question... I'll just leave that here.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

in Stream Analytics you add a Power BI dataset as an output.

In Power BI you see then this dataset and can start creating a report based on that data set. Be aware that a report doesn't show the "live" change of the data. For that you have to pin individual visuals from that report to a dashboard. When you open the dashboard you see how data changes live while the dashboard is open.

About the refresh, the Stream Analytics is just pushing the data to the data set. This means you don't have to schedule a refresh as the data is pushed in anyway.

Hope that clarified your questions. Otherwise just let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

Hey @Anonymous ,

no, that works also with a pinned report.

It just doesn't look as good from my point of view. But give it a try.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

in Stream Analytics you add a Power BI dataset as an output.

In Power BI you see then this dataset and can start creating a report based on that data set. Be aware that a report doesn't show the "live" change of the data. For that you have to pin individual visuals from that report to a dashboard. When you open the dashboard you see how data changes live while the dashboard is open.

About the refresh, the Stream Analytics is just pushing the data to the data set. This means you don't have to schedule a refresh as the data is pushed in anyway.

Hope that clarified your questions. Otherwise just let me know.

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @selimovd ,

Thanks for your response and insights! If I pin a whole report page as opposed to individual visuals onto my dashboard, will the data in the pinned report be live or does that only work with pinning individual visuals?

Regards,

Emiko

Hey @Anonymous ,

no, that works also with a pinned report.

It just doesn't look as good from my point of view. But give it a try.

If you need any help please let me know.

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors