Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dazzathedrummer
Regular Visitor

Licensing/sharing during trial period

Hi,

I'm currently trialing PBi, I have the desktop app and I've been writing some direct query reports.

I work for a large-ish company and we are looking for a BI solution to share data between operational managers (initially).

The set up would be that I write the reports in the desktop app and publish them so that the operational managers can view them via the service.

I would just like to confirm that, during the trial period, am I correct in thinking that the shared reports will not refresh for the service users?

So the best way to demonstrate changes in the data would be to refresh the reports in the app and re-publish to the service (which would presumably require a refresh in the service users browsers?).

I'm just trying to get my head around the functionality of the trial service and the best way to demonstrate a need for PBI before we commit to paying for per-user licensing.

Thanks,

Darren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Dazzathedrummer You need to "try" a Pro feature with the end user account. 

Check out the section under "Power BI Pro 60 day Trial" in this article.

And your presumption is correct if you used a Pro feature and the end user doesn't have a Pro trial/license they would not be able to see it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dazzathedrummer
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I'm currently trialing PBi, I have the desktop app and I've been writing some direct query reports.

I work for a large-ish company and we are looking for a BI solution to share data between operational managers (initially).

The set up would be that I write the reports in the desktop app and publish them so that the operational managers can view them via the service.

I would just like to confirm that, during the trial period, am I correct in thinking that the shared reports will not refresh for the service users?

So the best way to demonstrate changes in the data would be to refresh the reports in the app and re-publish to the service (which would presumably require a refresh in the service users browsers?).

I'm just trying to get my head around the functionality of the trial service and the best way to demonstrate a need for PBI before we commit to paying for per-user licensing.

Thanks,

Darren

@Dazzathedrummer

That is not correct. If you use a Pro feature, the end users would also need to spin up free trials but I'm not aware of any limitiation on the trial. You would schedule the refresh, and when it refreshes your dataset, it also refreshes anything you've shared.

After you publish the dataset, the reports are now in the Service alone. You create dashboards and share them. You then can schedule a refresh on the dataset, and everything that uses that dataset will automatically update downstream to shared users. They don't have to do anything. The only time you would re-publish the PBIX (Desktop file) would be if you wanted to make changes to the report visuals, add something, etc. Then you would re-publish and overwrite the dataset, but it should still keep your refresh, and the dashboards that are supported via that report/dataset.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so I just tried to share a dashboard to another one of my own email addresses. I signed up and tried to access the dashboard but I got an error message that said the tile is unavailable - presumably, this is due to the dashboard being from Pro and it would work normally if I had a Pro license for the other email address.

I can't find anywhere that I'm able to sign up to a Pro trial from within the service - is this only available once the desktop app is downloaded? (Ideally, I don't want users to have the app).

@Dazzathedrummer You need to "try" a Pro feature with the end user account. 

Check out the section under "Power BI Pro 60 day Trial" in this article.

And your presumption is correct if you used a Pro feature and the end user doesn't have a Pro trial/license they would not be able to see it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors