Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Believer
Advocate III
Advocate III

Is my premium workspace multi-geo or not?

The reason I am asking on this forum is that I am seeing two pieces of conflicting information:

1. When I try to create a new scorecard I get the error "Scorecards are not permitted in multi-geo- capacities."
  2. The Power BI documentation says "The dataflows feature is not supported on Multi-GEO at this time" but I am extensively using dataflows in this same workspace.

My use of dataflows implies that the workspace is not multi-geo, but the Scorecard error says otherwise.

Note: I am also awaiting a response from my corporate internal administrators on the multi-geo configuration, but would still like to know why these two things seem to conflict with eachother.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For the sake of closure... our internal admins have said that it will be too expensive and/or time consuming to straighten out the tenant vs capacity issue.  So now I just have to hope that some day Microsoft will remove the multi-geo goals restriction.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Believer ,

You might have a couple things going on here at once.  First, you are correct that your admin will be the best at telling you your exact setup.

Second, the dataflow error.  It is true that dataflow feature is not multi-geo supported.  But yet, you have working dataflows.  I would submit that the workflows that are working for you are in workspaces that are NOT in the multi-geo space.  You can have a workspace that is not in the multi-geo (and even, a workspace that is not in Premium even though you own Premium).  My guess is that this is why you have it working for you on some dataflows.  

I do understand that you stated that you are doing workflows in the same workspace where you are getting the message.  I am wondering if the workspace was recently moved and the "old way" was (or still is) working for while and that the new ones are not working?  I based this on "

• When moving data from one region to another in a Multi-Geo environment, the source data may remain in the region from which the data was moved for up to 30 days. During that time end users don't have access to it. It's removed from this region and destroyed during the 30-day period."

Which seems to indicate that it should NOT work going forward if it was just moved, but, I have had dataflows keep "old" settings for days in the past and am wondering about that possibility?

Note - the short answer is that you should not be able to have dataflows working in a multi-geo workspace.  So, i am confused like you are about that part....

I did find this thread (Solved: Multi-geo capacity error - Microsoft Power BI Community ) where the issue was that when the workspace was moved, not everything moved... indicating maybe you have some things that the dataflow is getting from the pre-moved version????

Please let us know if this helps and let us know about the status of the workspace as this appears to be a unique situation.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

@collinq I finally got an answer from our internal support team (relatively inexperienced in Power BI).  On meeting with a with a Microsoft engineer they discovered that "we have Power BI tenant in one region and capacity is configured on other regions... Need to see if we can create another capacity with the default location where tenant exists, which should ideally resolve the Scorecards issue."  For the benefit of any future readers, I'm going to leave this open until it's finally resolved in order that I can document the steps they actually end up taking.

For the sake of closure... our internal admins have said that it will be too expensive and/or time consuming to straighten out the tenant vs capacity issue.  So now I just have to hope that some day Microsoft will remove the multi-geo goals restriction.

@collinq , Thanks for all the info, your thoughts, and that link.  I think I will ask for a new premium workspace to test some things out because... our admins have advised me that we are not multi-geo and that we only currently have one capacity (East US).  I have asked them to open a trouble ticket with Microsoft so that it can be researched further.  Will update this thread as I know more...

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors