Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

sstockda
Regular Visitor

Incremental refresh on Datamart - Error

Hi,

I've configured a table in a Datamart to extact data from a PostgreSQL database via n On Prem Data Gateway. If I do a full load I can grab all the data which is abuot 1.7M rows - its a little slow so I'd like to configure Incremental refresh. 

When I hit the apply button after configuring Incremental refresh options the loading data box pops up and then after about 20 mins I get the following error: 

sstockda_0-1655122236725.png

I've seen others are facing similar issues as well. 

Thanks,

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Maximum_Attakk ,

We have reproduced your issue and have submitted to internal icm 311746938 , engineers are doing their best to fix this issue . please be patient and I will give you feedback here once there is any progress.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Namrata_Das_CLR
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone find the solution of this, I am having the same issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you been able to fix that? I have exactly the same error and my connections are done to XLSX files as sources. This only happens when I try to set up incremental refresh for my data mart so purely seems to be associated with Azure SQL limitations which are used for data mart data hosting. Apparently I also noticed that TSQL hangs when done against large data arrays. Even a simple select * from table may hang when issued againsta a table with a few million rows. Originally my thought that this is somehow connected with direct query limitations but whats the point of having data marts then if they can't be used for large data tables? So doubdtful, still no answer.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Maximum_Attakk ,

We have reproduced your issue and have submitted to internal icm 311746938 , engineers are doing their best to fix this issue . please be patient and I will give you feedback here once there is any progress.

Best Regards,

Maximum_Attakk
Regular Visitor

I have pretty much the same issue reading data from and Oracle db. I picked the smallest table I coould to test this and if I read the whole table in there's no issue but as soon as I set up incremental refresh it just hangs and eventually fails. Some of the tables I want to include have 10s of millions of rows in them so I need to get this resolved before trying to create my datamart.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sstockda ,

This error usually means that the client can't find the SQL Server instance. This issue occurs when at least one of the following problems exists:

• The name of the computer hosting SQL Server is incorrect.
  • The instance doesn't resolve the correct IP.
  • The TCP port number isn't specified correctly.

This official document provide detailed steps to troubleshoot the error, please refer to it.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

I'm not connecting to a SQL Server database. As I said I'm connecting to a PostgreSQL database. My guess is that the SQL database the error is talking about is the SQL instance behind Datamart. 

Simon

Hi @sstockda ,

I think so, when you create a Power BI Datamart, Three objects behind the scene is created; A dataflow, an Azure SQL database, and a Dataset. Some of these components are exposed as individual components, but some are hidden.

In this blog, there're steps about how to see the SQL database in the datamart: Power BI Datamart Components 

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft ,

As interesting as it is to know how things work behind the scenes I'm still stuck looking at an error message that's nothing to do with any of my systems. 

Any ideas how we resolve the problem? I'm just trying to configure Increment Refresh by ticking boxes. 

Thanks,

Simon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors