Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soptim_vond
Frequent Visitor

How would you tackle the following scenario?

Hi folks,

I am currently trying to figure out how to achieve the following:

Let´s say I have a Power BI Dataset that is automatically refreshed on a daily basis using the enterprise gateway. There is no incremental refresh going on since we don´t have power bi premium. Now, I would like to historicize the dataset once a month, so that I can monitor how the results change over time. 

I could also live with a solution that merely leaves me with monthly copies of the dataset, but the desired outcome would be the following:

On the one hand I have the primary dataset that has the newest data (daily refresh) and next to that I have a dataset that contains all monthly copies of the data with a timestamp of the refresh.

A third option would be to not historicize the full dataset, but only certain key results from the reports. 

Do you have any ideas on how to achieve any of the outcomes described above?

Thanks in advance,

Nico

4 REPLIES 4
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @soptim_vond,

what would be the reason you want that monthly dataset? Is it for comparison reasons? Or for historical reasons?
Do you want to keep the last day of the month as a snapshot? What would be the exact requirements?

Depending on your answers I think there are several possibilities.

For example, you could duplicate you original query and aggregate it at the month level as a new query.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I would like to have a monthly snapshot (e.g. the last day of the month) in order to be able to do some kind of point-in-time reporting. Thus, at the end of the first year I would like to have the original dataset/report containing current values on the one hand, and 12 monthly snapshots that can be used to display historical development of the report´s data. 

One solution that I have currently implemented is based on the "analyze in excel" feature and a tool called "power update", that can do scheduled refresh of workbooks.

I created an excel file that pulls the relevant information from the report (thus the kpi´s I want to track) via analyze in excel.  I then use power update to refresh the excel file once a month and save it with an appended timestamp. Then I created a seperate PBI-Report using the folder with all the excel files as datasource.

This gives me the desired outcome, however I would prefer a solution that does not involve these nasty workarounds using excel and third party tools but relies solely on PBI-features such as dataflows.

Does that help understanding my intention? 🙂   

Hi  @soptim_vond ,

What's your suggestion? @nickyvv 

Best Regards,
Kelly

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @soptim_vond

Sorry but there's no better choices except incremental refresh.As it is designed for periods' refresh.

Here is the reference.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

Best Regards,
Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors