Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FeedCentralMJ

How to update data source credentials to allow scheduled refresh? (SQL)

My apology if this is a simple question but help would still be appreciated.

I am seeking to schedule the refresh of a Semanic Model in a Workspace. Currently I need to publish from the Desktop every time I want to do a refresh.

When I go to the screen to set up the refresh I get the message that a data source is missing credentials. Where do I go to update these credentials because the Data Source Credentials option on this screen is greyed out?

The data source I am accessing is on an SQL server (in the cloud). I have the credentials to establish the connection from PowerBI Desktop. I just don't know where to update the credentials for refreshing the Workspace in PowerBI Service.

Missing Data Credentials MessageMissing Data Credentials Message

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @FeedCentralMJ ,

You may have stumbled into a situation where you need a gateway even though the data source is in a cloud.  If you have to have static IP's and have a consistent userid then you can satisfy your security requirements.  You might need to set up secure endpoints - like in this article Private endpoints for secure access to Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FeedCentralMJ

Thanks @collinq,

I think you are probably correct. 

FeedCentralMJ

Possible cause/Additional information:

I have been advised that our data source credentials will not work because they are IP restricted. We have been advised not to lift this restriction for data security reasons.

Our server is an Azure Virtual Private Server containing the SQL data source.

Do we need to set up a PowerBI Gateway on this Azure Virtual Private Server?

Hey @FeedCentralMJ ,

You may have stumbled into a situation where you need a gateway even though the data source is in a cloud.  If you have to have static IP's and have a consistent userid then you can satisfy your security requirements.  You might need to set up secure endpoints - like in this article Private endpoints for secure access to Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors