Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to distribute reports using on-premises data gateway

I'm new to PBI and still learning the ropes, so I hope someone will be able to help me out with this one.

I have a few reports, each with their own connetction to a .bk of a database from which I need to get data. Said reports will reside in a Premium workspace, which will be accessible to members of the client's organization.

The on-premise data gateway has been installed on the client's DB server and I do have an IP address, a user, a password, the name of the gateway and the recovery key.
I am however unable to connect to the DB, as everytime I try it just tells me the server is unreachable.
Could someone guide me on how to go about this? Do I need a VPN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

A VPN is required to access your client's domain remotely. The client will be sending you details such as what the VPN application is and port information. If VPN access is not possible, a solution may be to go to the customer's office to connect to their network.

If the answer helps please accept the solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

A VPN is required to access your client's domain remotely. The client will be sending you details such as what the VPN application is and port information. If VPN access is not possible, a solution may be to go to the customer's office to connect to their network.

If the answer helps please accept the solution 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer,
I must admit I probably did not understand the purpose of on-premises gateway then.
What would they be used for if not to access the data I want?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors