Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to change what users can see in Power BI Service?

Hi, 

In my company we share apps with our users and they find the apps in the Power BI Service. Unfortunately they also find all the work spaces ever created and test apps and other things not relevant for them. Also, it appears that all apps are visible regardless of the user having access to them.

My questions are:

- Is Power BI Service the best way to share apps with users? 

- What is Best Practice when using Power BI Service as the solution for sharing apps with users?

- Is it possible to change the user experience in Power BI Service? )To only make apps where the user has access visible? And no workspaces are visible?)

I have searched the internet and have found very little on the subject, I hope someone here can give me input to create a better an more focused user experience in Power BI Service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Apps are the best way to share content with users in Power BI, you just need to set the Workspace access and App Permissions appropriately.

Users don't need access to the Workspace to access an App. If the User has access to the Workspace they will see it in their Workspaces list. If the User does not have access to the Workspace it does not appear in their Workspace list.

It would seem that your users all have access to every Workspace, this is not necessary.

See: Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

When an App is build it has Permissions of who it is available for. This can be the entire Organisation, or specific individuals or groups. If the App has Permissions set for specific individuals or groups of individuals, not the entire Organisation, that App is only visible to those individuals.

It appears that your Apps have been created with Permissions granted to the entire Organisation, or to a group that encompasses the entire organisation.

See: Publish an app in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stuart, 

Thank you! I think you are spot on here - the work space access is a major issue, I will check out your links.

Best Regards, 

GDJ

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Apps are the best way to share content with users in Power BI, you just need to set the Workspace access and App Permissions appropriately.

Users don't need access to the Workspace to access an App. If the User has access to the Workspace they will see it in their Workspaces list. If the User does not have access to the Workspace it does not appear in their Workspace list.

It would seem that your users all have access to every Workspace, this is not necessary.

See: Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

When an App is build it has Permissions of who it is available for. This can be the entire Organisation, or specific individuals or groups. If the App has Permissions set for specific individuals or groups of individuals, not the entire Organisation, that App is only visible to those individuals.

It appears that your Apps have been created with Permissions granted to the entire Organisation, or to a group that encompasses the entire organisation.

See: Publish an app in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors