Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arubadoo

How secure is my client's data when establishing a gateway to PowerBI's online service?

Hello everyone, I'm working on a project that requires a user to share a dashboard with others. However, we are concerned with others being able to access my client's data beyond the visuals. I've created several reports on the PowerBI desktop app - which I've uploaded online. However, I was met with an error stating I need to establish a gateway connection. When acquiring data from the SQL server I used the direct query option. I assume the process is the same for the PowerBI online service. By doing so, my visuals should appear online. If I do establish a connection, how secure is my client's data? If he creates a dashboard from some reports and shares it with others, are they also able to see/modify my client's SQL server database or will they be restricted to a "read-only" of the dashboard visuals? Can they create their own visuals using my client's database?
3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@arubadoo,

Have you solved your issue by now? If you have, could you please help mark the correct answer to finish the thread? Your contribution will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@arubadoo,

No, the users who have been shared dashboard only have read right also can't access your local database.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there By default when your client shares a dashboard or report it can only be access in Read-Only mode. The best advise is to share the data using an App from an App Workspace. this will ensure that the data can only ever be read-only to the people who access the App. Then people who need more access to create dashboards or reports would need to be added into the App Workspace as members with the required member permissions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors