Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chanceda

Grand total of measure does not equal the sum of the rows

Hello,

I am having trouble with a DAX formula that is causing there to be a difference between the sum of my columns/rows and the grand totals, as seen in screenshot below. For example, the sum of the first row should be (3.74M) and the sum of the first column should be (3.57M).

chanceda_1-1713900617555.png

I need a way for the grand totals and summing of this measure to take the sum of these rows rather than coming up with a separate calculation on the total rows. I understand conceptually that the measure looks at the context of the total row and calculates in that context, but I need a way around this.

My formula is complex, and so is my data model. I believe the issue is coming from the part of the equation called Var InflationRate, the Inflation Rate table consists of a certain rate, by plant, by month, by year, and by category.  I've underlined the parts of the DAX below that I think is causing this issue, I also multiply different variables by the Var InflationRate in other parts of the DAX which I've also underlined. These columns all have relationships to other data tables in my report. I think that the total rows are calculating an average rate based on a plant in the row totals, and an average rate based on component in the column totals. How do I prevent this from happening, and rather take a sum of what is actually in the rows or columns instead of recalculating at the Grand Total?

Below is my DAX; 

DAX = 
VAR IsFixed =
    FILTER(
        Build,
      Build = "Fixed"
    )

VAR IsVariable =
    FILTER(
        Build,
        Build= "Var"
    )

VAR FixedActualNI = CALCULATE([Gross Sales Act] + [Sales Act] + [Deductions Act] + [Ingredients Std] +  [Packaging Std] + [Spend] +[Var] + [Reform],IsFixed)

VAR FixedActual_PER_1000_kgNI = CALCULATE(DIVIDE(FixedActualNI,([Total Act KG per Component] / 1000)), IsFixed)

VAR InflationRate =
    IF(
        HASONEVALUE('Inflation Rates'[Rate]),
        MAX('Inflation Rates'[Rate]),
     AVERAGE('Inflation Rates'[Rate]))

VAR FixedActualInflationNI = CALCULATE(([Gross Sales Act]
            + [Sales Act]
            + [Deductions Act]
            + [Ingredients Std]
            + [Packaging Std]
            + [Spend]
            + [Var]
            + [Reform]), 'Component Map - Enablers'[Inflation] = "Y",IsFixed)*InflationRate

VAR FixedActual_PER_1000_kgInflationNI = calculate(DIVIDE(FixedActualInflationNI,([Total Act KG per Component] / 1000)), IsFixed)

VAR FixedPY_Key = CALCULATE(MAX(Fiscal PD[Fiscal Year Key]),
             ALLEXCEPT(Fiscal PD[Fiscal Year Code]))-1

VAR FixedPY =  CALCULATE([Gross Sales Act]  + [Sales Act] + [Deductions Act] + [Var] +
          [Reform] + [Spend] + [Ingredients Std] + [Packaging Std],
          REMOVEFILTERS(Fiscal PD[Fiscal Year Code]),      
          Fiscal PD[Fiscal Year Key]=FixedPY_Key,IsFixed)

VAR FixedPY_PER_1000_kg = calculate(DIVIDE(FixedPY , ([Total PY KG per Component]/1000)),IsFixed)

VAR FixedNetInflationvsPY = FixedActualNI - FixedActualInflationNI - FixedPY
VAR FixedNetInflationvsPYPerThousand = FixedActual_PER_1000_kgNI - FixedActual_PER_1000_kgInflationNI - FixedPY_PER_1000_kg

VAR VarActualNI = CALCULATE([Gross Sales Act] + [Sales Act] + [Deductions Act] + [Ingredients Std] +  [Packaging Std] + [Spend] +[Var] + [Reform],IsVariable)

VAR VarActual_PER_1000_kgNI = CALCULATE(DIVIDE(VarActualNI,([Total Act KG per Component] / 1000)), IsVariable)

VAR VarActualInflationNI = CALCULATE(([Gross Sales Act]
            + [Sales Act]
            + [Deductions Act]
            + [Ingredients Std]
            + [Packaging Std]
            + [Spend]
            + [Var]
            + [Reform]), 'Component Map - Enablers'[Inflation] = "Y",IsVariable)*InflationRate

VAR VarActual_PER_1000_kgInflationNI = calculate(DIVIDE(VarActualInflationNI,([Total Act KG per Component] / 1000)), IsVariable)

VAR VarPY_Key = CALCULATE(MAX(Fiscal PD[Fiscal Year Key]),
             ALLEXCEPT(Fiscal PD[Fiscal Year Code]))-1

VAR VarPY =  CALCULATE([Gross Sales Act]  + [Sales Act] + [Deductions Act] + [Var] +
          [Reform] + [Spend] + [Ingredients Std] + [Packaging Std],
          REMOVEFILTERS(Fiscal PD[Fiscal Year Code]),      
          Fiscal PD[Fiscal Year Key]=VarPY_Key,IsVariable)

VAR VarPY_PER_1000_kg = calculate(DIVIDE(VarPY , ([Total PY KG per Component]/1000)),IsVariable)

VAR VarNetInflationvsPY = (VarActual_PER_1000_kgNI - VarActual_PER_1000_kgInflationNI - VarPY_PER_1000_kg) * ([Total Act KG per Component]/1000)

RETURN
   (CALCULATE(FixedNetInflationvsPY, IsFixed) + CALCULATE(VarNetInflationvsPY, IsVariable))
1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @chanceda 

Here is the broad price, which explains how to calculate the totals correctly. DAX - Subtotals and Grand Totals That Add Up “Correctly” - P3 Adaptive

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors