Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smithjoe
Frequent Visitor

Global Search delays

Our capacity's users are experiencing delays and failures when using Global Search in Power BI service. Search results average 7-10 seconds to complete; sometimes it returns a null result, even when the search results are valid to published artifacts. The problems are severe enough that several of my users have lost trust in its results and stopped using the feature completely.

I have searched through several resources to find more information about this feature, with very limited results. I have several questions about Global Search that I'm trying to answer:
- What resources are utilized for this feature? Does the feature use a cache, or is it querying the capacity directly? If it's a cache, how often does it refresh, and can we force refresh?

- Does Global Search use our capacity resources? In other words, in a premium capacity, does Global Search use CUs to perform its function? If so, how do we dedicate some minimum amount to Global Search to guarantee responsiveness?

- What can we do in our capacity to make Global Search function as efficiently as possible? Is there any existing guidance or Best Practices related to Global Search? 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
smithjoe
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately, this response is not helpful at all. I know this is an issue specific to our tenant, so testing this will not reproduce the issue. I am also aware there is no official documentation about this, which is the reason I posted here. Can anyone provide answers to these questions:

- What resources are utilized for this feature? Does the feature use a cache, or is it querying the capacity directly? If it's a cache, how often does it refresh, and can we force refresh?

- Does Global Search use our capacity resources? In other words, in a premium capacity, does Global Search use CUs to perform its function? If so, how do we dedicate some minimum amount to Global Search to guarantee responsiveness?

- What can we do in our capacity to make Global Search function as efficiently as possible? Is there any existing guidance or Best Practices related to Global Search? 

since you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi

Thanks @lbendlin, I've did so this morning and awaiting response. Was hoping the communtiy might have some info before I went down that road.

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smithjoe ,

I have tested this and it does not reproduce your problem. There is no mention in the official documentation of the issue you raised, and as far as I can tell, it could be a tenant or region issue. To further troubleshoot your issue.If you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.
It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Scott Chang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors