Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

scolvin
Frequent Visitor

Gateway / Data source File / NAS

Hello everyone,

I am a new Power BI user and I don't understand how to connect a new Excel data source on the gateway (not personal mode).

The excel file is on a NAS and I think that the Power BI gateway can't connect to this NAS :

scolvin_2-1644581274710.png

scolvin_1-1644580988271.png

It's ok on the drive c:\ but it doesn't work on the NAS.

I tried with IP address, network drive (Z:\) and server name, don't work !

Thank you in advance for your help

9 REPLIES 9
minhvq86

Hello

I had the same problem as you, and I solved it.
First, for example, you create user p65482 and password on the NAS (local user).
After granting permissions to this user (remember to have Read-Write permissions), Step 2: on the server where Power BI Report Server is installed, create a Local user with the same name as p65482 and the same password.
The problem will be resolved.

That worked. Thanks a lot. I had to enter the "Full Path" on the connection as \\NAS-Name\Folder rather than using the mounted drive letter, but other than that it is now connected.

Ouduk000

Hello. Did you ever get this to work? I can add a local folder but not a mounted one from a NAS. neither using the drive letter nor the full \\NAS-IP\folder  format. Under username and password I tried the NAS admin one, but no luck. it seems to work only with local folders or server fodlers that use the same Windows log in credentials.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please do not connect to individual files, that is wasteful.  Use the folder connector instead.

Your gateway VMs need to be able to see the NAS folder.  Make sure that the permissions are all set for that (Read only, preferably), and test it directly on the gateway VMs

Hello lbendlin,

Thank you for your answer.
I have the same problem with the "Folder" connector.
Yet the gateway computer sees the NAS folder, i can access to the NAS folder from the gateway computer.

Same error message 'invalid user or password'?

Remember that the gateway runs under its own credentials.

Yes, same error message :

scolvin_0-1644909870002.png

Yes, I use the gateway windows login...

Can you show a sanitized version of the dataset configuration screen?  Does it say "Edit credentials"  somewhere?

lbendlin_0-1644932901449.png

scolvin_0-1645197120815.png

it's unavailable...
I must to connect a gateway to access in the credencials

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors