Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

Forcibly Revoking all Link Shares to a Dataset

When someone shares a report using the share button and leaving it on defaults, it adds a link sharing record to both the report and dataset. 

When I try to revoke a link, if I delete it from the dataset it remains on the report and access remains. If I delete it from the report, it goes away at both levels. With many reports per dataset this is a pain.

Another problem I have is that many of those reports are in personal "My Workspace" areas. No matter what I do the link keeps working. 

How do I forcibly close all links to my dataset? I'm a workspace admin and the dataset owner. Or, conversely, are the links working for me *because* I'm a workspace admin and would have access to the underlying dataset anyway, even if the report is in someone else's My Workspace?

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @j_ocean 

What I recommend is to only share reports/dashboards via Apps. This allows for better control of who can see what and to change access.

I do think because you are the owner in My Workspace as you alluded to you will always to see the link. What you could do is give the link to someone who does not have access and see if it works for them.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

What I recommend is to only share reports/dashboards via Apps

Unfortunately that's not a solution here; sharing to users via apps is the SOP as-architected, but it's the people who build the reports who keep hitting that share button despite multiple guidances released to knock it off.

We can't boot them from the workspace because then they couldn't create reports.

In theory we could knock them down to Contributors to build reports without the ability to assign permissions, but we had one contributor create many reshare links. I can only guess either the documentation is wrong, or we've found a bug, or one of the admins making a link first gave her the reshare permission.

We looked into but cannot turn off the share button. 

So right now I'm searching for a way to forcibly revoke all links so we can just click that button every week or so as regular housekeeping.

>I do think because you are the owner in My Workspace

No no, I own the dataset which resides in a premium workspace. The report is in the My Workspace of some other user, built off my dataset but I don't own the report or workspace in which it resides.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors