Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Resty
Frequent Visitor

Featured tables, RLS and Access Permissions - RLS not working

Hi,

I have a dataset published with RLS setup. Access rights and RLS are setup based on mail-enabled security group. Dataset doesn't have any endorsement set.

In reports RLS works as intended. Dataset has a featured table. I would like for security group users to be able to access custom data types via excel based on this table and for RLS to restrict their access to data they do not have rights to.

Here's how it looks in my scenario:

1. When mail-enabled security group access permission is set to Viewer.
    • group members see reports based on this dataset in Power BI service and RLS works in reports
    • group members do not see custom data type based on featured table in excel
  2. When mail-enabled security group access permission is set to Contributor.
    • group members see reports based on this dataset in Power BI service and RLS works in reports
    • group members see custom data type based on featured table in excel but RLS doesn't work - all members have access to full table data disregarding RLS

Could you please guide me how to make custom data type based on featured table to apply RLS in excel without giving too wide dataset permissions to security group?

Thank you,
Blazej

3 REPLIES 3
Resty
Frequent Visitor

Looking for custom data types and featured table experts 🙂

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I'm not sure what you mean with Custom Data.

If you are talking about the DAX function CUSTOMDATA(), I think that only wokrs in Analysis Services.

If want to build a dynamic RLS based on an excel, you can follow this post: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/652895563673649152/powerbi-seguridad-de-filas-rls-con-regla

That will build one step by step. Instead of using excel it is hardcoding a table in Power Bi, but you could just use an excel.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Resty
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ibarru,

thank you for reaching out!
I am referring to custom data types in excel under Data tab:

Resty_0-1648213501692.png

They are a result of marking one of yor dataset tables as featured one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors