Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sgunnam01
Frequent Visitor

Error while connecting to AmazonAthena gateway. We cannot convert the value null to type Record.

Hi 

I have setup a OnPremise data gateway to pull data into Power BI service via Amazon Athena. I configured the Gateway by installing Athena ODBC driver in the machine and the test connection from ODBC driver to Athena is successful and the gateway is also online. I am able to see the name of my gateway in the Power BI Service. When I tried to create a new data source with Athena as data source type i get this error "Unable to create data source. Unable to connect to the data source." and in details i see this "We cannot convert the value null to type Record." I am selecting OAuth2 as the authentication mechanism. 

Gateway Version number: 3000.122.8 (April 2022)

-sandeep

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sgunnam01
Frequent Visitor

Finally I could solve this problem. Thanks for everyone who tried to help. Incase if others face the same issue, below is how it is setup for us.

1. Install the gateway and Athena ODBC connector on a ODBC machine. We DO NOT need to put this in Customer connectors. 

2. Give the role based permissions (based on how you want your authentication) to the machine where above two components are installed. Make sure you are able to connect from ODBC to datasource by doing "Test Connection" in ODBC configuration dialog. There we used Authentication mechanism as "Default". 

3. When creating "Datasource" in Power BI service using the "gateway" name that was setup in step1, selection the authentication as anonymous.

This should create the datasource successfully.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sgunnam01
Frequent Visitor

Finally I could solve this problem. Thanks for everyone who tried to help. Incase if others face the same issue, below is how it is setup for us.

1. Install the gateway and Athena ODBC connector on a ODBC machine. We DO NOT need to put this in Customer connectors. 

2. Give the role based permissions (based on how you want your authentication) to the machine where above two components are installed. Make sure you are able to connect from ODBC to datasource by doing "Test Connection" in ODBC configuration dialog. There we used Authentication mechanism as "Default". 

3. When creating "Datasource" in Power BI service using the "gateway" name that was setup in step1, selection the authentication as anonymous.

This should create the datasource successfully.  

sgunnam01
Frequent Visitor

Hi 

Thanks for your response. Does it mean everyone who is using Power BI Athena Gatway is facing this issue? How do it know if I have configured everything correctly? I could not find any documentation on how to configure Athena for Power BI gateway. It would be of great help if you can share any documentation or details steps on how to configure it. BTW I have set up the Power BI gateway on the Windows server machine. 

-sandeep

Hi @sgunnam01,

I guess you can already connect to the Amazon Athena on your machine, but if you want the dataset in the power bi service to refresh successfully, as you tried, you need to install gateway first, and you need to make gateway enable to use the custom connector.

I found some documents how to configure this, hope this helpful.

Using the Amazon Athena Power BI connector - Amazon Athena

Solved: Amazon Athena Connector - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hey Sandeep,
Power BI Gateway is having an issue currently. It could be related to your issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors