Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jayne45
Frequent Visitor

Error when refreshing on powerbi service but refreshes on powerbi desktop

I have a powerbi report that is sourcing data from a postgres database and a sharepoint excel file. When I refresh the report on powerbi desktop, it refreshes just fine but when I refresh it on powerbi service, it fails with an error a certain column in a table is missing and yet the column is in the table. If I refresh again, it says another different column is missing. Everytime I refresh, a different column is said to be missing. I have tried reinstalling the gateway and that hasn't solved the error.

4 REPLIES 4
d0ewee
Frequent Visitor

it happen to me too, still looking for the answer..

Hello, I managed to find a solution. My issue was with the connection string for the postgres database. I changed it and everything is working now. Where are you sourcing your data?

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

I would make sure you're referencing the correct table name and/or sheet name, if it's looking for the columns in a different table or sheet it may be having trouble finding them even if they exist. Also try refreshing the query. It's not the gateway for sure. 

The postgres tables are the ones having the error. On powerbi desktop it's refreshing without any error, so I don't get why there's an error during refresh on powerbi service

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors