cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Management View (DMV) queries against PowerBI model. How to automate load into DB?

Hi 
I have been using SQL Server Management Studio to manually execute DMVs to query XMLA endpoints in our PowerBI Premium workspaces. These queries return useful information on the underlying PBI SSAS database such as:

• M expressions in the model
  • Tables in the model
  • Relationships between the tables
  • Measures & DAX
  • Calculated columns

I would like to programtically extract the above information from all our PowerBI Premium workspaces and load it into a central database (probably SQL Azure DB) for further analysis. However,  I am struggling to find relevant information (and examples) on the more complex querying capabilities of DMVs, and scheduling DMVs. Can anyone provide any insight (or links) as to whether:

Any advice, during this early planning stage would be welcome

Cheers
Steve

3 REPLIES 3
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

https://www.fourmoo.com/2021/11/24/how-did-i-keep-my-power-bi-dataset-measures-documented-and-up-to-...

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak Thanks for your suggestion. 

We aren't in a position to change our Enterprise Architecture. So this isn't an option.

Thanks again

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
Carousel_PBI_Wave1

2023 Release Wave 1 Plans

Power BI release plans for 2023 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2023 through September 2023.

Power BI Summit Carousel 2

Global Power BI Training

Make sure you register today for the Power BI Summit 2023. Don't miss all of the great sessions and speakers!

Thank you 2022 Review

2022 Monthly Feature Releases

We had a great 2022 with a ton of feature releases to help you drive a data culture.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors