Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JessieF
Advocate II
Advocate II

Does a Personal Workspace get deleted 'automatically'?

Hello all,

I've been scouring the forums today and there's tons of great info here about Personal Workspaces but I'm trying to understand the default settings for Power BI service and what, if anything, Tenant admins can do with Personal Workspaces for users who have left the organization.

We see the situation here where a Personal Workspace is created when a user accesses the Service. We have disabled reassignment of Personal Workspaces in our Premium capacity. 

What I am trying to understand is - regardless if there is zero content in a Personal Workspace or many objects, what happens by default in the tenant to that Personal Workspace once the user has left the organization and/or we would for any reason revoke M365 licensing?  It appears that Personal Workspaces are retained by the Power BI Service. 

Do any other tenant Admins have this situtation and how do you handle it?  We are currently looking to do a "spring cleaning" (if you will) of our tenant and remove un-used content from those who have abandoned workspaces, reports, etc. 

Thanks everyone for your time!
Jessie.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JessieF 

@Idrissshatila Thanks for your sharing!

When a user leaves an organization and their Microsoft 365 license is revoked, their personal workspace ("My Workspace") is not automatically deleted.

It remains in the Power BI service. zh ensures that any content created by the user is not inadvertently lost and can be managed or restored by the tenant administrator if necessary.

For your "spring cleaning" program, I recommend first conducting a thorough audit of existing personal workspaces to determine which ones belong to users who have left.

Then decide on a case-by-case basis whether to keep, restore or delete those workspaces.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JessieF 

@Idrissshatila Thanks for your sharing!

When a user leaves an organization and their Microsoft 365 license is revoked, their personal workspace ("My Workspace") is not automatically deleted.

It remains in the Power BI service. zh ensures that any content created by the user is not inadvertently lost and can be managed or restored by the tenant administrator if necessary.

For your "spring cleaning" program, I recommend first conducting a thorough audit of existing personal workspaces to determine which ones belong to users who have left.

Then decide on a case-by-case basis whether to keep, restore or delete those workspaces.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-nuoc-msft, this is exactly the confirmation information I was looking for. Thank you very much for helping me to confirm this.

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @JessieF ,

you should deativate the email once the person leaves the organization, he shouldn't have the access to access the tenant.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for response @Idrissshatila . 

Apologies if my post was misleading. 

Our M365 administrator removes all licensing from users who have left the organization.  My question / concern is only surrounding Power BI Personal Workspaces that get "abandoned" due to these now inactive M365 accounts.  I was curious if Power BI default settings were to just treat the Personal Workspaces like any other object that requires manual changes, deletion, etc.  Or is the Power BI default setting to delete a Personal Workspace tied to a user account when the user is deactivated in our system and no longer holds any licensing?

Thank you
Jessie.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors