Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

James225
Regular Visitor

Does Underlying Data Become Public When a Report is Published to Web?

When you publish a Power BI report to the web the report becomes accessible to anyone with an internet connection, but what about the underlying data?

Does the data itself become a public dataset and get published somewhere? Can it be exported? Could the data be scapred from the host site's html? 

I can't seem to find any Microsoft documentation that definitively says that the data is or isn't visible to the public.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bhanu_gautam
Super User
Super User

@James225 ,

No 

When you publish a Power BI report to the web using the Publish to web feature, the report itself becomes accessible to anyone with the link. However, the underlying data is not published as a separate public dataset, and it cannot be accessed or exported directly from the published report.

The data remains securely stored within your Power BI workspace or data source, and it is not made publicly available through the web publishing process. Only the visualizations and insights derived from the data are shared in the published report.

Please accept as solution and give kudos if it helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
bhanu_gautam
Super User
Super User

@James225 ,

No 

When you publish a Power BI report to the web using the Publish to web feature, the report itself becomes accessible to anyone with the link. However, the underlying data is not published as a separate public dataset, and it cannot be accessed or exported directly from the published report.

The data remains securely stored within your Power BI workspace or data source, and it is not made publicly available through the web publishing process. Only the visualizations and insights derived from the data are shared in the published report.

Please accept as solution and give kudos if it helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors