Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VimWan
Frequent Visitor

Do Data Flows Transfer between Workspaces?

Hi Everyone,

Another Team at my office created a Power BI dashboard for our team a while ago and I'm looking to get it up and running in our workspace. I have the pbix file which I uploaded to our workspace but when I refresh the data source on desktop or service I get the following error message:

workflow error message.PNG

I'm coming to understand that the data was sourced and transformed via a Power BI dataflow, and that the workspace the dataflow was created in by the other team was deleted or changed and so when although the pbix file is provided to us, the dataflow still needs to be migrated to our workspace.

Am I understanding this right?

Thanks for anyones help in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The premium workspace part won't be the issue as that only really becomes a problem later when you are trying to refresh online.

If it's on the second step then it looks like it isn't finding the dataflow you are looking for. It could be that you don't have access to the workspace or that the dataflow has been deleted/moved.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
VimWan
Frequent Visitor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response.

Either of the first 2 options are very possible, which I'm going to look into.

Like you said, the error is coming from the data sourcing step in the second line which is looking at a dataflow. 

contacts - advanced editor.PNG

Can we assume that either of the first 2 scenarios you mentioned is what is causing this then?

The premium workspace part won't be the issue as that only really becomes a problem later when you are trying to refresh online.

If it's on the second step then it looks like it isn't finding the dataflow you are looking for. It could be that you don't have access to the workspace or that the dataflow has been deleted/moved.

chris88
Frequent Visitor

You can have dataflows from different workspaces as long as you have access to them and they are not on a premium workspace trying to be used in a report on a non premium workspace.

Your error above is coming from the 'Contacts' table and is pretty much saying it can't find what your looking for somewhere along the line. Have you opened the contacts table in Power Query to see where the error is stemming from?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors