Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct Query exceeds available resources

I have created a report using Direct Query for 8 SQL queries, which are related to each other in a star schema. When I run the individual queries in SSMS they're all done within a second (returning no more than about 3,000 rows per query, nothing too fancy or large). However, when the query runs from Power BI in a matrix visual it takes several minutes to complete, causing the report in the Service to "exceed the available resources".

In the Desktop version the query manages to complete, but it also takes too long, about 7 minutes(!). I have used the Performance analyzer to see what's happening under the hood of the visual and noticed that the DAX query that is sent to the database looks like this:

SELECT TOP [1000001] * 

FROM ( SELECT date, location, SUM(output)

FROM ( query 1 - my fact table )

LEFT JOIN ( query 2 - my dimension table )

WHERE condition

GROUP BY date, location

)

Running this particular query directly on the database, perhaps unsurprisingly, takes as long as in the Service, so I'm inclined to believe that this Power BI made query is the main cause of the slowness. 

What I don't understand is how my fast-running SQL query turns into this slow monster and how I can fix this. Does anyone have any suggestions to speed things up or clarifications about the inner workings of Direct Query models?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So if you were importing the data it would be fine. However in Direct Query everything is still being sent back to SQL server to process.

Have a look at the query plan that SQL Server uses when executing the join across the two sub queries (Display an Actual Execution Plan - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs). It might give you a clue.

There is some good advice in here: sql server - SQL Query performance that use subquery and joins - Stack Overflow

It's possible that adding some indexes to the base tables might help to assist the joins. Eg the individual queries are fast but in order to join them it's having to do full scans of the right hand table for every row of the left(certainly sounds like it). 

An indexed view lets you take each query and save it as a view but also add indexes to assist in joining those views which will make it more explicit as to what you want SQL Server to do.

Sorry if that's vague. Without seeing your setup it's a hard one to diagnose.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Whether the advice given by @bcdobbs  has solved your confusion, if the problem has been solved you can mark the reply for the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly. If not, please point it out.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Am I correct that your tables are themselves generated by SQL queries rather than being directly against tables?

There's nothing you can do Power BI side to change the above. The query it's generating is "reasonable" based on what it's provided with. Have a read of: DirectQuery model guidance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

I think key point here is:

"Ensure required data transformations are materialized".

It sounds like you're transforming on the fly in native SQL statements?

Probably the best thing to look at doing is creating indexed views to effectively materialise the data:

SQL Server indexed views (sqlshack.com)

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @bcdobbs ,

Thanks so much for your reply! You are spot on that the tables that make up my report are generated by SQL queries, consisting of several joins of tables in the native database.

I've read that particular article before I posted this here, but it looks like I didn't fully understand what they mean by "materializing" data transformations. In my view I was doing that by transforming the data in my native SQL queries, ensuring that the data was all ready when loaded to Power BI. Is that the way to go or is that not what they mean by that statement? 

So if you were importing the data it would be fine. However in Direct Query everything is still being sent back to SQL server to process.

Have a look at the query plan that SQL Server uses when executing the join across the two sub queries (Display an Actual Execution Plan - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs). It might give you a clue.

There is some good advice in here: sql server - SQL Query performance that use subquery and joins - Stack Overflow

It's possible that adding some indexes to the base tables might help to assist the joins. Eg the individual queries are fast but in order to join them it's having to do full scans of the right hand table for every row of the left(certainly sounds like it). 

An indexed view lets you take each query and save it as a view but also add indexes to assist in joining those views which will make it more explicit as to what you want SQL Server to do.

Sorry if that's vague. Without seeing your setup it's a hard one to diagnose.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome advice! I really wasn't sure where to look (our Service capacity, DAX query or something else), but this has given me some great pointers to investigate. 

Your reply is not in the least bit vague! I'm actually impressed, because I think that you understood my problem so well, even without too many details 🙂 

I will look into your links tomorrow and let you know if I can make it work. Thanks a lot for now and I'll get back to you.

Great!

A few other "non SQL" things to consider:

• Do you really need Direct Query? What will the business do differently with live data compared to data that is n hours old? I know when I first started with Power BI direct query seemed like the obvious go to but now I'd avoid it as much as possible and go import every time (Vertipak is a thing of beauty)
  • How static are your dimension tables? Could they be imported and have a mixed mode model?
  • Could you make everything imported but make your fact table hybrid so it has data up to yesterday imported over night and only hits direct query for todays data?

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors