Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Nehawns

Default slicer selection based on User level security

We have a dashboard where we have implemented row level security and the defauls slicers selection is based on the different user roles.

The dashboard should automatically change the slicers based on the role a particular user has but currently the slicer value is not getting changed and the dashboard is getting Blank.

Is there a way where we can automatically change a slicer selection based on the access of a user?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nehawns

I added 'Blank' in dropdown and this fixed my problem for a while. Thanks a lot for help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nehawns

I added 'Blank' in dropdown and this fixed my problem for a while. Thanks a lot for help.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. No you can't do that. Slicer selection can't be preselected with different states by user. If you need delimited filters for group of users you can implement RLS to keep the report filtered but the whole dataset will be filtered and the users can't remove that filter.

Reports can persist users manipulations. So if you keep it clean and each users filter their data, each time they open the report they can check data with the filtered data, but the first time they must click the filters to persist them.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks for the response. We already have RLS security implemeted in the report and is working as expected. The only challenge is  - I have slicer A with values A1 and A2  and this is is single select slicer. So if user U1 logins and sees the report, he/she will see the data related to A1 and since A1 was selected while publishing, so there will nbe no challenge. But if user U2 logins who has access to A2, then he/she will see blank report(as A1 was selected while pubishing report) and manually change the slicer value to A2 to see the data in the report.
I hope this makes the probblem statement more clear.

Well. Unless you have a requirement for specific visual to be filtered, then it's a good practice to keep your slicers unselected before saving and publishing. That way the User2 won't see the filter A1 at all. 

Sadly slicers can't change with the logged user. There is no way to do that. Only RLS can filter data by logged user.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors