Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmcconnell

Dataset switches from Basic authentication to OAuth2 when published to Power BI Service

I've created a local report in Power BI desktop that connects to Salesforce using Basic authentication.  When I publish it my Salesforce dataset can no longer connect.  When I try Edit Credentials I am promped to authenticate only with OAuth2 as an option.  I no longer own the dataset so I'm assuming that has something to do with it.  Does this have to do with who owns the dataset or workspace?  I can't make heads or tails of it.

jmcconnell_0-1671476439185.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jmcconnell

The solution ended up being pretty simple.  It came down to ownership, someone had taken ownership of the dataset since I had posted it.  Once I took ownership again I had all the authentication options.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jmcconnell

The solution ended up being pretty simple.  It came down to ownership, someone had taken ownership of the dataset since I had posted it.  Once I took ownership again I had all the authentication options.

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @jmcconnell 

According to your issue, you use "Basic" authentication to connect to Salesforce when creating reports using desktop, but you have a problem configuring data source credentials on top of publishing to service: there is no option for "Basic" authentication to connect to Salesforce, as far as I know, This may be caused by the difference between the identification processing of the Salesforce connector and the data source on desktop and service, as a possible solution to the problem, you can try using the ODBC driver connector to connect to Salesforce using desktop, and then publish to the serviec to check if you can log in with basic authentication.

Connecting Power BI to Salesforce via ODBC Driver (devart.com)

Salesforce ODBC Driver: ODBC Driver for Salesforce - CData Software

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors