Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Dataset refresh failure - DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError

Can someone translate this to English, on behalf of a coworker who is not a power bi admin:

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode",
"detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation."}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}
Table: GL Balance Sheet.
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-US-C-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 0671e40d-a364-4b97-8c8c-f84f5212694e
Request ID: 1882c29b-31ac-4f4e-9a7a-a2967902bea2
Time: 2023-08-15 13:02:55Z

They would like to know what we can do to allow users to see the underlying reason for these meaningless messages.  Is it reasonable to share the logs directory with them over the network? Eg:
C:\windows\ServiceProfiles\BuggyPbiService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

It was only possible to find the true underlying reason for this error message by reading the gateway logs.  Microsoft needs to make those available to the people who need them.  The admins in our environment do not necessarily want to participate in the troubleshooting of every failing dataset-refresh.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AleMaldonado

la solucion esta en configurar el mismo nivel de privacidad en la puerta de enlace para todos los origenes en el servicio.
Editen las credenciales de origenes de datos y seleccionen el mismo para todos. encontraran las fuentes y la opcio de editar. 

Me paso recien y de esa manera lo pude solucionar.  Saludos 

sulleyinoz
Advocate II
Advocate II

This might be related to this issue reported a couple of days ago if it used to refresh and has now stopped with no changes.

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-Service-Dataset-Refresh-Error-Expression-...

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

It is impossible to say unless I can dig into the logs.  

Unfortunately when I'm using the Power BI service, all I can do is see the message above ("we're sorry something bad happened.").

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

It was only possible to find the true underlying reason for this error message by reading the gateway logs.  Microsoft needs to make those available to the people who need them.  The admins in our environment do not necessarily want to participate in the troubleshooting of every failing dataset-refresh.

Same problem now in Nov 2023. My reports were refreshing well until some update recently has left me with same problem but no answers!

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @jen15 

I've been working with Power BI for a few years.  Unfortunately I've come to accept that the enterprise gateway was built in a way that requires PQ developers to also be able to monitor and administer the gateway.

For many types of PQ failures, you must enable advanced logging and read the output, after your refresh has failed.

The best way to think of the Power Query language, is as a primitive programming language.  Unlike most programming languages which present errors to you directly, PG's error messages are trapped locally on the "gateway" server in the "advanced" logs.  If you go ahead and open a ticket with CSS about the failures, they will immediately ask your gateway administrator to enable advanced logs and share the output.    In the case that you are not the gateway administrator yourself, these cases take a lot longer than reasonable.

Until Microsoft finds a way to present PQ failure messages to dataset owners, you will need to be a gateway admin yourself, or work closely with a gateway admin to see the underlying errors

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors