Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmeu
Advocate III
Advocate III

Datamart - SQL database capabilities

I am checking out the datamart preview feature. This is really exciting! But I have some questions..

Is it possible to provision a user(s) as member of the db_owner role?

Can a user create stored procedures, schemas, tables, users, etc.?

Can we write data directly to datamart db?

Can datamart be used as target for power app insert/update operations?

3 REPLIES 3
peteroest1978
Regular Visitor

I have done the same as what have been written here - assigned a user the role viewer (that has the role public in the datbase) in my workspace and then tried to add the role public to the db_owner role. I wrote:

EXEC sp_addrolemember 'db_owner', 'public'

The answer I get is: Cannot alter the role 'db_owner', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Why does this happen? db_owner exist in my database and I am an admin_user.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cmeu ,

Users can be configured as members of the db_owner role

vhenrykmstf_1-1653891606028.png

There can be some limitations to creating.

vhenrykmstf_2-1653891799609.png

Administrators can manage the following functions in the admin portal, which include writing data to the Datamart database

vhenrykmstf_0-1653891490892.png

There is no more information about the features of the power app yet, but after all, it is a PREVIEW feature and may be introduced in a subsequent update or release with similar features.

For more details, you can read related document as below:

Administration of datamarts (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Analyzing datamarts (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply -
- db_owner is not the same as "admin_user" - db_owner has full permissions within the database
- I am interested in DDL and DML, but not within the visual editor (I am using external SQL IDE to connect to SQL Server service)
- I saw about the auditing available in the admin center - but I believe this is just a report that indicates the quantity of operations being performed, by type? This doesn't explain how to perform INSERT or UPDATE

I can certainly appreciate this is in preview and we don't know the full details yet

Thanks for your response!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors