Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FrederickD

Dataflow Custom Entities in schematized CDM

Hi,

When I read the first articles about Dataflow, Microsoft mentions "Dataflows support the CDM by offering easy mapping from any data in any shape into the standard CDM entities, such as Account, Contact etc. Dataflows also land the data, both standard and custom entities, in schematized CDM form."

I am not able to find a way to use custom entities. I can only see "map to standard" and standard entities. I am currently using the build in Data Lake (and not the Azure Data Lake storage option).

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Frederick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @FrederickD,

So you mean you want to extract particular fields from different datasorces and try to union them as one entity with all records from different datasorue fields?

If that is a case, current data flow seems not support advanced operations in M query formula.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrederickD,

I think it means you can direct get data from created common data model entities which host in 'common data service for apps' side.

If this is a case, you can choose that connector to get data from common data service for apps.

How to use the Common Data Model

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft

Thx for the reply.

Actually I am trying to solve another problem, I will explain it with an example.

- I have 3 systems containing accounts.

- I want a global repository (Data Lake Gen2) to store all the account info in a uniform and standardized way.

- The account structure that I want is not fitting for 100% in the standard account entity of CDM.

So in the end I want 1 place where all the account records are stored in 1 type of entity. 

I know how to connect dataflow to our company Azure Data Lake Gen 2, but I am not finding a way to store the data at the same place in a custom entity model (so from data lake perspective: everything (data from the 3 systems) is stored in the same CDM folder with custom entity definition).

Kind regards,

Frederick

Hi @FrederickD,

So you mean you want to extract particular fields from different datasorces and try to union them as one entity with all records from different datasorue fields?

If that is a case, current data flow seems not support advanced operations in M query formula.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Did you get a solution for this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors