Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

g_georgiev444
Helper I
Helper I

Data refresh issue showing that data is refreshing, but it is never displayed

Hello,

I have a desktop report that consists of Direct Query to PostgreSQL DB, an excel file and a table combining the 2.

Refresh is possible and quick on desktop. My issue is then I Publish the report to the web. I get only 1 data visualization and slicers, visualizations never refresh. They are stuck at refreshing like this:

g_georgiev444_0-1671794409494.png

I get no slicer options no matter how much I wait. Even if I use custom URL to give Region and LoadType I still get the 1 visualization and no refresh happens. I should mention that Automatic Refresh works perfectly fine, no errors and really quick. So the connection through the gateway to the server, then to Postgre DB and to the excel sources is fine. In Postgre we have opened the IP addresses for Power BI to communicate with the database.

1 hour ago the report was working fine. Now it does not want to visualize anything. I tried re-publishing the report, but this does not help. I got the same issue before, but somehow it resolved itself. Now nothing I do seems to work.

EDIT: After more than 40 minutes the visuals display the following error:

g_georgiev444_0-1671796931153.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @g_georgiev444 ,

There are a few possible reasons why your report is not refreshing properly when published to the web. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

• Check if there are any connectivity issues between Power BI and the data sources. You can do this by trying to connect to the data sources directly from Power BI Desktop and running a simple query to see if you are able to retrieve data.
  • Make sure that the data sources have been added to the data gateway and that the gateway is configured correctly. You can check the status of the gateway and the data sources in the Gateway Dashboard in the Power BI service.
  • Check if there are any errors or warning messages in the dataset refresh history. You can find the refresh history for a dataset by going to the dataset settings in the Power BI service and clicking on the "Refresh history" tab.
  • Check if the dataset is set to refresh automatically. If it is set to refresh automatically, try increasing the refresh frequency to see if that resolves the issue.
  • Check if there are any restrictions or limitations on the data sources that might be preventing the report from refreshing. For example, some data sources might have limits on the number of rows that can be retrieved in a single query, or they might have limits on the number of concurrent connections.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-henryk-mstf , thank you for the answer.

1. Tried a simple Direct Query and it returns the data in PBi Desktop;

2. Looked at the gateway and it is fine. The Sources are added to the gateway and they are marked with a green checkbox as well, meaning the connection is fine:

g_georgiev444_0-1672300541269.png

3. Refresh history has Completed on all instances with no errors;

4. Scheduled refresh frequency is set to once per day. I manually tried refreshing, but the issue was still present;

5. From what I see there are no limitations. Postgre DB does not limit the fetched results, the .xlsx source is about 200 lines and since refresh is happening on both it shouldn't be an issue. Also, if one of the sources was limiting the number of rows, then it should still show quickly the results - just not all the relevant data. We have checked in the report on Desktop and the numbers correspond to what they should be.

Something interesting to note: Right now (couple of days later) everything works absolutely fine. Without any intervention as nobody was at work. This behaviour is really strange, because we cannot pinpoint when it happens and how to fix it. There is an RPA procces working with this report and we might spam the whole company with empty e-mails.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors