Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shaunb94
Frequent Visitor

Data Gateways

Hi, 

I am facing a problem currently where I am performing Power BI Implementations for multiple organizations and this is resulting in scheduled refreshes failing & becoming disabled due to the gateway not being reachable (when I am logged out of those accounts). 

I know one solution is an on premises data gateway & another is a gateway on a VM but I would like to know if there is another approch that may be better? 

I also want to keep the costs as low as possible on the clients side.

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shaunb94 ,

I understand your problem. Power BI gateway is a common solution for connecting to on-premises data sources and refreshing data in Power BI service.
There are some alternatives to Power BI gateway that you may consider, depending on your specific needs and scenarios. Here are some of them:

• Azure Data Factory: This is a cloud-based data integration service that can copy data from various sources, including on-premises, to Azure storage or Power BI datasets. You can schedule the data refresh using triggers or pipelines, and monitor the status and performance using the Azure portal. You will need to install a self-hosted integration runtime on your on-premises machine to enable the data movement.
  • Power BI Dataflows: This is a feature of Power BI service that allows you to create and manage data transformation logic in the cloud. You can connect to various data sources, including on-premises, using the Power Query Online editor, and apply transformations and calculations to the data. The data is stored in Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2, which can be accessed by Power BI datasets or other tools. You can schedule the data refresh using the Power BI portal or API. You will need to install a gateway on your on-premises machine to enable the data connection.
  • Power Automate: This is a cloud-based workflow automation service that can perform various actions based on triggers or events. You can use Power Automate to refresh your Power BI datasets or reports using the Power BI connector, which provides several actions such as Refresh dataset, Refresh report, Get dataset, Get report, etc. You can also use other connectors to access data from various sources, including on-premises, and perform operations such as copy, move, delete, etc. You will need to install a gateway on your on-premises machine to enable the data connection.

Solved: Alternative to gateway, or getting data on a exter... - Microsoft Fabric Community

What is a virtual network (VNet) data gateway (Preview) | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shaunb94 ,

I understand your problem. Power BI gateway is a common solution for connecting to on-premises data sources and refreshing data in Power BI service.
There are some alternatives to Power BI gateway that you may consider, depending on your specific needs and scenarios. Here are some of them:

• Azure Data Factory: This is a cloud-based data integration service that can copy data from various sources, including on-premises, to Azure storage or Power BI datasets. You can schedule the data refresh using triggers or pipelines, and monitor the status and performance using the Azure portal. You will need to install a self-hosted integration runtime on your on-premises machine to enable the data movement.
  • Power BI Dataflows: This is a feature of Power BI service that allows you to create and manage data transformation logic in the cloud. You can connect to various data sources, including on-premises, using the Power Query Online editor, and apply transformations and calculations to the data. The data is stored in Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2, which can be accessed by Power BI datasets or other tools. You can schedule the data refresh using the Power BI portal or API. You will need to install a gateway on your on-premises machine to enable the data connection.
  • Power Automate: This is a cloud-based workflow automation service that can perform various actions based on triggers or events. You can use Power Automate to refresh your Power BI datasets or reports using the Power BI connector, which provides several actions such as Refresh dataset, Refresh report, Get dataset, Get report, etc. You can also use other connectors to access data from various sources, including on-premises, and perform operations such as copy, move, delete, etc. You will need to install a gateway on your on-premises machine to enable the data connection.

Solved: Alternative to gateway, or getting data on a exter... - Microsoft Fabric Community

What is a virtual network (VNet) data gateway (Preview) | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors