Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Mohanad_ENB
Frequent Visitor

Create and update items on Sharepoint Online List From power BI Published App

Hello Team Awesome,

What is the easiest and most reliable way of copying data from Power BI App to a sharepoint online list?

I have 5 columns in a Power BI published app in Power BI Online service platform and I would like to automate transferring data from these 5 columns in PBI app to 5 similar columns in a share point online list.

I have tried Power Automate the best working scentario that I had success with was to create a CSV file and dump it to a Sharepoint folder via instant cloud flow which won't help my case. 

I want a method of uploading all items from these 5 columns in a power bi app to sharepoint online list that have the same 5 columns, with a condition that if a record such as Project Number exist, the upload skips it.

Hopefully that's possible.

Appreciate all replies.

Thanks

Mohanad 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is the kind of thing that people usually use a canvas Power App for - it can connect to/join multiple sources, and you can update the values right in the app without exporting things back and forth. Then you can either embed the Power BI report in the app or the app in the Power BI report (there's support for both directions). You don't want to be copying data out and trying to update it if you can avoid it. 🙂

But if you REALLY want to use Power Automate, you can use a scheduled flow and "query a Power BI dataset", parse the data with Parse JSON as an action, then insert the cards from that into a "create an item in SharePoint" action to create the rows. The problem you run into is updating those rows, it's kind of a pita to do that because there's not really an "upsert" option I'm aware of. You can get the query for "query a PBI dataset" with the performance analyzer on a visual that has the fields you want (e.g. a table). 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

What are you trying to do exactly? Like what's the use case? It's technically possible to do this, but there is probably another way to look at it that will work a lot better for you (likely involving Power Apps).

Thanks for your reply Christine, I have data saved in Power BI App that is refreshed daily, I want to get this data from 5 columns within the Power BI app into a sharepoint online list automatically once a day so we don't have to enter data manually in Sharepoint list, reason we are doing that is that the Power BI app doesn't have all the data in it, so some data are stored in the sharepoint list and some data are saved in the power bi app and now I created a power bi report that merge data from the power bi app and sharepoint list for the viewer to see the data populated in one unified report interface. I have tried Power Automate but didn't have much luck with it, reviewed a lot of online articles and videos so was hoping for another solution!

This is the kind of thing that people usually use a canvas Power App for - it can connect to/join multiple sources, and you can update the values right in the app without exporting things back and forth. Then you can either embed the Power BI report in the app or the app in the Power BI report (there's support for both directions). You don't want to be copying data out and trying to update it if you can avoid it. 🙂

But if you REALLY want to use Power Automate, you can use a scheduled flow and "query a Power BI dataset", parse the data with Parse JSON as an action, then insert the cards from that into a "create an item in SharePoint" action to create the rows. The problem you run into is updating those rows, it's kind of a pita to do that because there's not really an "upsert" option I'm aware of. You can get the query for "query a PBI dataset" with the performance analyzer on a visual that has the fields you want (e.g. a table). 

Thanks Christine for your kind suggestion, I will look into Canvas Power App, I wasted a lot of time with Power Automate with no fruitful results

nsexton12
Resolver II
Resolver II

Have you tried a solution similar to the documentation below? I think this could solve your problem.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/trigger-flow-powerbi-report

Please mark as a solution if this works for you!

Unfortunately, this might work but someone will still have to push a button for the flow to run, I was searching for an automated flow

What do you want the automation to trigger on? You could do a scheduled cloud flow where it triggers every morning or at the same time as your refresh schedule.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors