Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ChrisAcheson

Connect to website to take continual feeds

Hello.

Im extremely new to power BI. my first day today 🙂

I have a report a need to download from one system, and then import into P BI.

Is there a way to connect to upstream system to take a continual feed to ensure my data in P BI is as real time as possible?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. There different ways to get close to near realtime or even create real time. The thing is that you really need to know how to handle those structures in order to perform correctly. It's usually a bad idea to think on getting always realtime when the reports need to show data from daily stuff like sales, retail, etc.

There is a thing called Direct Query at PowerBi. It runs queries against the source each time a user interacts with a report. It has cache that can take between 5 to 15 minutes to help with performance but it's very close to the "realtime". However here is the thing, in order to make something like that work, you need a source prepared to receive that amount of queries to reply. It's not that easy. You need to develop the power bi with determined practices so you can provide an acceptable performance.

More info o direct query: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-directquery

Guidance doing direct query: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/directquery-model-guidance

Most of the power bi developments work with Import Mode. The idea is creating schedule refreshes to get the data to the model. You can think up to 8 refreshes a day. This way the performance is rarely compromised. 

I hope that helps

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors