Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mwoodward
Frequent Visitor

Connect to Snowflake Natively in Power BI Report Builder

I’m currently trying to connect to our instance of Snowflake from within Power BI Report Builder, and I’m not having a lot of success. Locally on my machine, I’m able to connect just fine using the ODBC connector. However, after publishing the report to a Power BI workspace I’m unable to actually run the report or manage the data source credentials. Have you encountered this kind of issue before with another client? If you’re not the right person to ask this question, please let me know. Just to give a little more context, we need to be able to connect to our instance of Power BI. Upon connecting, we would also need to be able to enter in Query text in the dataset properties window; and, if applicable, create an parameters needed for the report. We have a lot of existing reports that are pointed at our Azure SQL Database, and we’d like to be able to now point those at Snowflake. Most of those existing reports are made up of either query text, or executing a stored procedure. We have a on-prem gateway as well as a vNet gateway configured, but I'm wondering if it's not configured correctly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mwoodward ,

According to this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports/paginated-reports-data-sources#natively-... 

Power Bi Report Builder only supports the following list of data sources: 

vjaywmsft_1-1658124106363.png

Best regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mwoodward ,

According to this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports/paginated-reports-data-sources#natively-... 

Power Bi Report Builder only supports the following list of data sources: 

vjaywmsft_1-1658124106363.png

Best regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
mwoodward
Frequent Visitor

Here's the information that I get after publishing the paginated report to a workspace.

Unable to create data source. Connection string is not supported.
Details: SnowFlakeGateway: The connection string is not supported Please have this information handy if you choose to create a support ticket. ActivityId: 2ec7387b-fa17-4b7a-9634-bd7e2041c536 RequestId: 4322818a-25bd-41d6-ba74-d840a5d311a6 Cluster URI: https://api.powerbi.com Status code: 400 Time: Wed Jul 13 2022 14:46:07 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even I am getting the same issue. Please let me know if you were able to fix the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors