Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

victoriasanchez
Frequent Visitor

Cannot Combine Data Sources - need help

Hello,

For the past two weeks I have been reading community posts, blogs etc etc trying to figure out how to fix this problem. Currently I need to make two external calls in order to build my query, the query refreshes without any problems in PowerBI desktop however in PowerBi Service I receive an error " Unable to combine data Section1/XSupportIssues/Inserted Text Before Delimiter references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination."

I have taken a variety of actions to attempt and remedy this error:

1.I have checked the privacy settings of my data sources and gateways for both sources and they are both set to organization

2.Have selected ignore privacy levels in settings

3. All calls to externals queries are in the same query

However after hours of reading posts I am starting to wonder if it is actually possible to fix this error. 

Further if anyone from Microsoft is reading this I would like to comment that it is not real

My M Code is below, I have removed the specific URLS for privacy reasons, however any advice is appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @victoriasanchez ,

See if below similar solution helps you:

Solved: [Unable to combine data] Accessing data sources th... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Unable to combine data - revisited - Microsoft Power BI Community

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @victoriasanchez ,

See if below similar solution helps you:

Solved: [Unable to combine data] Accessing data sources th... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Unable to combine data - revisited - Microsoft Power BI Community

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

the following articles did resolve this issue, however I am now receiving a seperate issue in regards to the data source. PowerBI desktop allows me to use parameters in the URL, however when using powerBI service it seems to try and call the URL without the paramter which causes the Rest-API to throw a bad request error as the URL needs the paramter to be valid. Are you aware of any way to work around this issue

victoriasanchez
Frequent Visitor

victoriasanchez_0-1655324025412.pngvictoriasanchez_1-1655324048254.pngvictoriasanchez_2-1655324068011.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors