Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SamRobinson120
Frequent Visitor

Caching in Power BI Embedded Pagintaed Reports

Hi,

I have a paginated report deployed to the Power BI Service that uses stored procedures to retrieve data from an Azure SQL Database data source.

When I click 'view report' the report runs and the 'view report' button is greyed out. If I then change a parameter value, then change the parameter value back to it's original value, 'view report' is then clickable. If I then click 'view report' I receive the same report, even though the underlying dataset has changed. So I am receiving a cached version of the report the second time.

How can I opt-out of this caching behavior? I want a new dataset to be retrieved every time I run the report. Also, why is the 'view report' button greyed out, only to be available again when changing a parameter value, then changing it back to it's original value? I want this to be clickable at all times to enable the ability to refresh the report using the updated dataset.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SamRobinson120 

To opt out of caching behavior by ensuring that a new dataset is retrieved each time you run the report, you can adjust the report's caching settings in the Power BI service. Navigate to the Settings page of the report semantic model in the Power BI service.
Look for the "Query Cache" option. You'll find three settings: Capacity Defaults, On, and Off.
Select Off to disable query caching for this semantic model. This action ensures that all query results for previously saved semantic models are removed from the capacity cache and that a new dataset is retrieved each time the report is run. You can see the more information about this:

Query caching in Power BI Premium - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

The View Report button is designed to become active when the report parameters change. This behavior is to prevent unnecessary reporting from being executed when the parameters have not changed, which can cause performance issues. When you change a parameter and then revert it to its original value, it is detected as a change, so the View Report button is re-enabled. If feasible, adjust the report design to include a refresh mechanism in the report itself, such as a Refresh button that triggers a report refresh regardless of parameter changes.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yohua-msft. I did have a look through that article but it doesn't seem to cover paginated reports that use a direct Azure SQL datasource, only semantic models.

I understand how caching will benefit performance, but in my case the behavior isn't desirable, is there any way to opt-out?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors