Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

BI Report Won't Refresh in Service

Hi
I have a small BI report that just wont refresh in Service yet refreshes without issue in Desktop.

This is the error message I am encountering.

"Unable to connect to the data source undefined"
"We cannot convert the value null to type Logical"

Not sure what the value null is?  The dataset is pretty clean.
Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I think I finally resolved this issue.  I found a date that had a NULL value.  I replaced the NULL date value and made sure that the data type was set to 'Date'.  Desktop refresh worked as expected.  Published the report to Service. Now the report is refreshing as expected in Service.
So my guess is that date with the NULL caused the error.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mmcarthur
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issues in my report. I use a few connections including SQL Server, Web Connection, and an ODBC Connection. There are no refresh issues when refreshed in desktop, but it refuses to work in services. I've double checked that the privacy settings are set to organizational for both services and desktop and all connections and they all are. I need this scheduled refresh to work, has anyone solved this?

Here is the error message I receive:

Unable to connect to the data source undefined.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details

Cluster URI: WABI-US-CENTRAL-A-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 35d4da93-3ebb-4c18-b48e-297598ce7862
Request ID: dee745e9-960c-e9dd-3850-f8be5ae4a322
Time: 2023-02-25 17:13:11Z

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I just completed a try and error session of loading the report from Desktop to Service taking out steps until I determined the root cause of my error.
As I stated below, my issue was that in Power Query I used #date().  I needed to do this step to break out my companies Sales in buckets based on release dates.  Worked great in Desktop.  Published the report and never worked.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I finally figured out my issue and I'm still a bit confused why this is happening.
In Power Query, I used a step that had the function '#date()'. 

On Power BI Desktop, results were as expected.
Published report to Power BI Service, and the report would not refresh stating "Unable to connect to the data source undefined/We cannot convert the value null to type Logical"

Back on to the Desktop version of the report, I changed the step in Power Query to instead lookup a Date table created by adding 'Custom Data'.  Got the same results in Desktop and the report now refreshes in Service.

Why is this so?  I much rather use the M Code function#date() but it doesn't seem to work in Service.

Anyone experience this??  Suggestions?

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I think I finally resolved this issue.  I found a date that had a NULL value.  I replaced the NULL date value and made sure that the data type was set to 'Date'.  Desktop refresh worked as expected.  Published the report to Service. Now the report is refreshing as expected in Service.
So my guess is that date with the NULL caused the error.

AnushaSri
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi , Check Is the Gateway connection properly connected on power BI service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors