Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

QueenTink
Frequent Visitor

Azure AD Group question - need help

Hello,

We have Azure AD groups set up for each role, within each workspace and everything seems to be working fine. The datasets used by these workspaces are located in a "central" workspace. The issue that we seem to be encountering is when one of the workspaces is using the PBI App to share reports containing data located on the central workspace.

A user is added to the AD group which should give them access to the app and the dataset. However, this doesn't seem to be happening in some cases. User1 was added to the AD group and was able to see the app but was getting an error message saything they didn't have access to the dataset.

I verfied User1 was indeed, in the AD group. But when I added User1 directly to the dataset permission, it worked fine. They are now able to see the full reports and interact successfully with the data.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

5 REPLIES 5
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @QueenTink 

Solution to what ! You have found the solution yourself. The AD Group that consumes the report needs to be added to the App/Audience and given permission to the Dataset. No need to add the AD group to the workspace where the report is located nor to the Central Workspace where the Dataset is located.   

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

We have done this, but it's not working. User1 is in the AD group. The AD group has access to the App and is in the audience for these reports. The AD group has access to the dataset it needs, but User1 is unable to access the data in the report. He gets a message saying he doesn't have access to it. 

I verified that User1 was in the AD group and he is. When I granted in direct access to the dataset, he was able to see the report.

My question is, why is it not working based on the AD group?

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Not sure what do you mean by "I granted in direct access to the dataset". In my understanding of the situation is that members of the group have direct access (Not in the group) to the Central Workspace and when you add User1 to the central WS he can see the report.

I think you need to empty the Central WS and the WS where the Thin report is from all direct users and grant access to the Dataset via AD group ( Like i mentioned in my previous reply) 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

I guess I'm not explaining this well. It is set up just like you said above. But even though User1 was in the AD group, he was getting an error that he needed access to the dataset.

Because I'm trying to figure out what happened, I clicked on the 3 dots next to the dataset, went to manage permissions, and added his name with read permission - the same permission the AD group has. After I did this step, he can see the data and gets no errors.

We have removed all names from the central workspace and all access is granted on a dataset by dataset basis, based on the AD group, not individuals.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well done, but it sounds more like a bug that is happening with this particular User1.

Check with Azure Admin if the user is really added correctly to the group.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors