Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Aielar
Helper I
Helper I

Analyze in Excel Model not working

Dear PBI Community, I created a model in PowerBI based on fact table and dimensions. 

When I use this model in the Analyze in Excel option on the dataset, filters in pivot table in Excel don't work as they do in PowerBI, to be more accurate they don't work at all.

Which are the limitations and the different behaviour between PowerBI and Analyze in Excel?

In the help page there is no recommendation about the model or any configuration you need to setup in PowerBI.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @Aielar 

If  I understand you correctly, please use  my pbix  to  test again.It works well  in my current  environment.

Maybe you have missed something important.

Pbix attached 

31.png

32.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Aielar 

Not very clear what your want .

Maybe you can  refer  to this article:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Analyze-In-Excel-Relationships-not-working/m-p/227740

Best Regards,

Hi @v-easonf-msft I already had a look to the message you provided before opening my message. I created in my model an explicit measure in the fact table, but still when I'm filtering with the dimension table that is link to my fact table, in Analyze in Excel the filter is not working as it does in the PBI Service.

That's why I'm asking which are the differences and the considerations you need to have when working with a model in Analyze in Excel. It really does not make sense to create a centralized view of your dataset to be used both in PBI service and Excel if they don't have the same behaviour.

Thanks for your help!

Hi , @Aielar 

If  I understand you correctly, please use  my pbix  to  test again.It works well  in my current  environment.

Maybe you have missed something important.

Pbix attached 

31.png

32.png

Best Regards,

Hi @v-easonf-msft  thanks for your pbix, I will check my model again.

So, the prerrequisite is that you need at least one explicit measure in the fact table of the model? Is there another limitation that you need to consider?

Thanks for your help!

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Aielar ,

try to create explicit measures in your Power BI data model, and then connect again from inside Excel.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors